Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taxidermy Recommendations

mkcrawford

I just returned from our annual western Nebraska Mule Deer hunt and was fortunate enough to bag my biggest deer to date (Pics to follow). I want to get him on the wall, but this will be my first mount of any kind. Can anyone pass on some taxidermy contacts that do muley's at a resonable price in central Iowa? What are some good questions to ask. I will be checking with Mr. Whitiker (sponsor of the site). I'll probably start calling people out of the phone book to get prices, etc.

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

Chris Hoskins does great work about a mile south of Luther if you know where that is. His number is 515-230-3125. He is doing my full body mount of the piebald I shot early muzzleloader, congrats on your buck
smile.gif

All those listed above are good. I took a look at Hoskin's work last weekend, it looks pretty good to me.

Depending on where you are at in the state...Hochs Taxidermy in Dallas Iowa (near Knoxville) is in the same area as whitaker...personally i have had all of my work done there and i am very pleased with how excellent the work was and how fast i got it back....here is a good example....i shot my buck in November, got it back in February....Marlin Hoch is very good about quality work and getting the work done....here is my example
1421Picture_045_2_-med.jpg

Marlin is one of the best taxidermist's in the state, has won many awards and has done lot's of interesting work with animals other than whitetails....you would be foolish not to check out the shop....number is 641-947-6723....let me know what you think!!

Darrin Brinks in Washburn does a fantastic job. He has done several Mulies for me and I could not be happier.

Brinks Taxidermy 319-296-1059

You have been given some great options here...I have to second Darrin Brinks..he's been around for quite a while and does fantastic work.

I'll agree with Lefler168...Hochs Taxidermy in Dallas, Iowa.

He takes a lot of pride in this work and is willing to spend the time discussing and answering questions. I just dropped my deer off on Saturday for him to work on. I'm fortunate to have a friend that has had many animals worked on by Marlin and they all look Great and have lasted over the years!

Whatever you do make sure you see some of the taxidermists work ahead of time.

Good Luck in your decision.

You should check with serveral differant taxidermist to find the right one for you. Look at their work and dont be afraid to ask questions.. Dont fall for the guy that says he can have it finished in 2-3 months. There is usually a reason they can get it finished so quick. Any quality taxidermist will be at least 8-12 months out. Take you time and look around....

I agree with CAMOUP, make sure that you check them all out and pick the one that is right for you. Don't pick one based on how fast he can get your mount done... I had a 13+ pound Canada goose mounted one time and I picked the taxidermist that could get it done the quickest and it was the worst decision of my life.... I got the goose back and in less that 1 month it was smelling and the belly turned brownish yellow and started dripping oil/grease..... As it turned out, the guy was very inexperienced and had done very few waterfowl and did not get all of the fat cleaned off the skin before he mounted it..... I was more concerned about how fast I could get it back than how good/experienced the taxidermist was.....

Be carefull!!!!

Mark...

I live in in Nebraska and i have had one deer mounted so far. It was done by Monty Kennekate (Sp) he owns Ok Bottle shop. He does awesome work. When i got my deer done he had over 50 deer in his shop that looked awesome. He does great work. If you want give him a call. 308-537-7220 Thats the store he owns and the phone goes to the shop. Give him a call if you would like.

Durk Sterner in Lone Tree IA does a great job at a very resonable price.
After this year he will have mounted two of my deer.

(319)629-6596 (Sterner Taxidermy)

Brinks is the guy that a well known Cedar Rapids Taxidermist recommended for me, my buddy shot a nice buck last year and did not want to drive from waterloo to cedar rapids to get the mount done, darrin did a exceptional job and the price was a little cheaper than the well known names.

I also vote for Hoch taxidermy but mine is for Derek Hoch in Milo. His price is good and the final result is AWESOME. 515-360-9979. Give him a call.

Another vote for Hoch's Taxidermy! MARLIN is a national champion....does the best work around....have all my animals done there and they look amazing!

My vote is for Rick Whitiker hands down! He is a great guy and one of the best in the Midwest. You will not be dissapointed, I guarantee it.
cool.gif

I hope to be visiting Rick Sunday with any luck!

Top Bottom