Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taxidermy Recommendations

bbloom96

Can I get a recommendation of good taxidermists in the Decatur County area. I need to find a cape and have a large buck mounted that was found on my farm.

I dont know any taxidermists down there, but if you are looking for a cape.. sometimes that can be costly, especially if you want one with big neck circumferences. You might be better off waiting until after this season and make sure all your buddies know you need a cape.. that way if they shoot a big bodied deer with a small rack, you might get the cape for free... just a thought.

Not sure about Decatur county, but there are a few in Union county that I could point you to, that do good work.

Well living in decatur county for past 5 yrs I havent found one yet that I would want to use. What I mean by that is one that I have do the work and the quality that I expect, cuz this guy is picky.
I have used Conner's Taxidermy out of Creston, he has done 2 of mine, this year I went to Whitakers in Knoxville (He said he can get a cape for me anytime of year, also a sponsor so call him)

Look at spending around $500 for each of these fella's though, since it was just found I would just bleach the skull and call it good!.

PM me with any ?'s, Ill try to help ya out, I believe there is a guy in Decatur City that does O.K. work but not up to my standards.

Connor's will cost you $525-$575 I believe last time I talked to him, but don't quote me on that. But, he does great work! You can find him west of Creston 2 miles on highway 34. Be careful though, if your coming from the east you might just blow right past since the house is a little hidden and his shop is in the basement of their home. There is a large wooden sign in the front yard that faces southeast.

If they are getting $550 down there I would make the 3 hour drive up to aplington, ia where you can get Greg Cuvelier the national champion to do it for $425 and you will be much happier with his work. I have pictures of his mounts if you want to see them. Just send me a PM. Here is one from 3 years ago and he has only gotten better.
IMG_0011_2_.JPG

Rick Whitaker was mentioned previously and get's my vote for where to go. He is located outside of Knoxville and does top notch work and is a true artist with a great eye for detail. Not to mention a great guy and sponsor of the site. Check out his work in the link below you will not be dissapointed

Whitaker's wildlife creations

I have been very happy with Durk Sterner out of Lone Tree Iowa. He's "stuffy" here on the site.

If we could ever get Skully off his behind he could do them for us. He done one for himself and it looks awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll second on Rick Whitaker's.........you won't be disappointed.

Thats a third! </div></div>

I'll fourth that one!

Top Bottom