Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taxidermy School

strutnrut

My wife and I am considering taking a Taxidermy school with Joe Meder. Has anyone ever went to one of his classes?? He offers a 5 day school and it covers A to Z. My only question is, is 5 days really long enough for someone that has never mounted anything to learn it and to remember it. It will be on Gameheads only. Our plans are to take his course and then mount a few on our own and see how we do and then if I think our quality is good enough, I would then and only then try and do a few for the public. I am very picky on my personal mounts and I would have to meet my standards before I would take on someone else trophy.. Any insite would be appricated..

CAMOUP,
I can tell you that there will be no stone unturned with Joe. I have not been to his class but am a friend, there are a heck of a lot of great taxis out there now because of Joe. He is a stickler for detail and knows the animals inside and out. You made a good choice and will enjoy your time with him.
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
before I would take on someone else trophy..

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know when your ready!
waytogo.gif

I took the class and learned a lot. Take good notes and ask tons of questions, take a ton of pictures. It is worth the price. Then you have to do some on your own right away while it is fresh in your mind. He is a great guy and a great teacher.

I've been looking into taking a class or two also. It seems that just about every school out there offers a 5 or 6 day course for shoulder mounts. So it must be the norm. I haven't looked a Meder's yet. But have heard good things!
smile.gif

The only piece of advice I might offer you is to try and tinker with a few taxidermy projects before you shell out the money for a class. Even though you might think you want to do it, believe me from first hand experience, hands on experience may change your mind. It took me a while to get over the initial frustrations to where I decided I really wanted to do it. It would also do more good in the class with Joe if you have some kind of background knowledge about taxidermy prior to taking the class. Have you ever seen this website? http://www.taxidermy.net There are ENDLESS hours of tips in the archives of the forums section. I would spend a fair amount of time in there and ask some questions about the trade before you drop some serious coin on the class.

I've heard nothing but good things about Joe and his classes, but just make sure it's something you really want to do. Good Luck!

[ QUOTE ]
The only piece of advice I might offer you is to try and tinker with a few taxidermy projects before you shell out the money for a class. Even though you might think you want to do it, believe me from first hand experience, hands on experience may change your mind. It took me a while to get over the initial frustrations to where I decided I really wanted to do it. It would also do more good in the class with Joe if you have some kind of background knowledge about taxidermy prior to taking the class. Have you ever seen this website? http://www.taxidermy.net There are ENDLESS hours of tips in the archives of the forums section. I would spend a fair amount of time in there and ask some questions about the trade before you drop some serious coin on the class.

I've heard nothing but good things about Joe and his classes, but just make sure it's something you really want to do. Good Luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is great advice right there.

Top Bottom