Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taxidermy School.

buckfever57

bowhunt or die
Looking into learning the trade of taxidermy and looking for best school to go to. So far I am thinking bout going to northwest Iowa taxidermy school in spirit lake to get a start at it and some day would like to go to Joe Meders and learn from the best.

Just wondering if any of u have ever gone there and wht would u suggest I do. I thought bout taking a buisness course over summer and then going to taxidermy school next winter. Also wondering threw the schooling how many tools will I still need after to start my buissness and wondering if you get to keep the mounts you do during the time there. Thanks

I went to Matuskas during his winter course in 2006.. you can bring your own frozen specimens or Tom can hook you up through his own sources for items you can pay for to mount. You get to keep all of them. For me to go to school and start up a part time business afterward was about a $10000 investment for me.. not sure what his prices for school are anymore... Part of that was about $1000 to rent a place while going to the school. You will learn a lot in a short time.. take good notes. I would also suggest going to Meders class also like you stated... I haven't but would like to someday.. it's very tedious work and the first few weeks of the school, all you do is skin and flesh.. that got boring fast! It was all worth it though when a pile of fur or wet feathers transformed into the finished mount.

Joe Meder....... the best ? I don't know about that at all , better do your research ! Great , yes he is but a far cry from the best ! I also went to Matuskas in Spirit Lake , great guy with a great program ! Tom is a quick mover so be ready to learn fast , well worth it though. Good luck to you wherever you decide on.

If you are looking to do this for a full time job I would highly discourage it. If you want a trade I would look into something with beneifits and more job security.(electrician, welder, pipefitter) It takes years to build a client base and if things don't get shot, you don't get paid. I have a few taxidermist friends that haven't gotten nearly enough deer in this year to keep the lights on, let alone get paid a salary. Now if you want it for a side job, I wouldn't go to a school right off the bat. Buy and study every dvd made on subjects you want to mount and then IF and when you like it, then go get some specialized training to hone your skills. For whitetails, Joe Meder will take your mounts to the next level.

Im not trying to be a debbie downer because when you have a dream that is great. A couple of my taxidermist buddies got hit this year hard with few mounts in. Hard to pay the bills when the business is not there. They have had a good customer base but with the deer herd declining and mature buck population less are being brought in. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I've been doin it part time for 7 years and have a really good client base so far and I'm down 40% on heads this year. Another thing that's been bad the past few years is getting people to pick there stuff up when it's done. Seems like I always have a few mounts hangin for a couple months which is hard on income. I'd do like Breiner said and get some good videos and get some of the tools and give it a try on a couple, if you like it go to a good school.

Why go to school. If all your doing is deer.i know some taxidermists would let you come and watch them do a few heads.then try a few you shot. That's what my brother did . He only does our family's but he got really good with a bit of practice and pointers. Spend the money on a flesher to thin hides and a pressure tanner.

If you are looking to do this for a full time job I would highly discourage it. If you want a trade I would look into something with beneifits and more job security.(electrician, welder, pipefitter) It takes years to build a client base and if things don't get shot, you don't get paid. I have a few taxidermist friends that haven't gotten nearly enough deer in this year to keep the lights on, let alone get paid a salary. Now if you want it for a side job, I wouldn't go to a school right off the bat. Buy and study every dvd made on subjects you want to mount and then IF and when you like it, then go get some specialized training to hone your skills. For whitetails, Joe Meder will take your mounts to the next level.

Great advice right here.

Top Bottom