Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Technical" question about DNR regulations

bukket

I've gone through the handbook and can't find an answer to this question on my own...I know somebody here can help me.

A member of our gun hunting party has two sons, both under 16. The elder hunted for the first time last year, the younger is hunting for the first time this year. The father wants to take the younger boy out 2nd season (on private property when nobody else is driving)...but bring the elder boy out to party hunt first season. My question:

Can the father buy a tag for 1st season and hunt with the elder son in our party, then turn around and assist the younger son during 2nd season?

My reading is telling me the answer is no, but I have to ask because of the youth hunter factor. Thanks in advance to those who take the time to read and or answer!

i don't believe so. he could have taken the younger boy out for youth season. it could be done, if the father owns land that they would be hunting on.

i would ask the conservation officer in the area.

Can't a father accompany his son hunting as long as the one with the permit carries the gun?

I thought that the dad only needed to have a vaild hunting license, I would contact the DNR or your local C.O. That just makes no sense. If he's not going to hunt, then why should he need a tag, just to take his boy out. Again, call the DNR. Hell you got me curious now, I'll call.

O.K. bukket, i just got off the phone with them. She told me according to the regs on page 3 in the dnr hunting rules ang regs, he will only be able to take one of them out with him. Since you can only get 1 shotgun season tag, he could take one out one day, and the other out the next day. Or... he could take one out for 1st season, then have a different licensed hunter take the other out for the next season. The catch to all of this is if your taking the youth out you have to have the same tag that he does for the same season. You have to be within arms lenght of the youth and speaking distance the whole time. I think that is a rule that needs to be looked at a little more. Good Luck, keep us updated!

Last year I had the same question you did. I hunt First Season and didn't want my son out with the us during the big push. I called my CO and he stated that as long as I have a valid hunting liscence, then I can take him. He said it was a very good opportunity for Father/Son bonding.

What would the difference be if he was not carring a gun. Wouldn't it be just like his son walking along with him not carrying a gun?
According to the regulations any person 12 yrs to 16 yrs may hunt without a guardian supervision but must posess a hunting license, and have passed hunter safety classes in addition to a deer license.

I say he can accompany his son but can not hunt him self.

CH

Our CO said pretty much the same thing...he can't take the other kid out 2nd season.
We don't want the youngest to go first season as stated above...there are just too many people in the field. The older boy got a big fat doe last year and demonstrated a pretty cool head during the experience so he's coming along with the old guys this year.

I've already offered to take one of them under my wing for the first season but "dad" wants to take his boys...I can't blame him a bit. Law is law, though. He's got a touch decision to make now!

Thanks again for all your responses.

I think there should be exceptions to father and sons/daughters.

I think the way the law is written is to try to prevent people from even becoming drivers in a season they're not licensed. (example - a season 1 hunter just going along to 'push' for season 2 groups)

is this only for shotgun season ????I took my 12 year old out for youth season and I didnt have a youth tag? then I took my 9 year old out for early muzzleloader season and I didn't have an early muzzleloader tag? Was I breaking the law ? If I was then there needs to be some changes made. I will hunt during the late muzzleloader season and I did this for a reason so that each hunter would get the benefit of their own season. It worked out really well and I hope to do it again next year.
confused.gif

From what I've read and been told youth season is the exception. You can be out there without a tag to help.

You can't take a kid hunting in any other season unless you've purchased a tag for that season as well. Period.

I think it kind of stinks too!

Then it must be illegal for someone to be along and video tape hunts also. If they want to give me a ticket because I take my son out during a season and supervise his hunt than so be it. Any CO who is going to give you a ticket for that is just a prick. I can understand if the father is doing all the shooting and stuff, but when I go with my son in second season he does everything except clean the deer and he is 8 yrs old.

Earlier I posted that I hunted with my son during the early muzzleloader season ,but , i didn't have an early muzzleloader tag. What i failed to say was that I was actually carrying a bow tag and my bow . I hope that makes a difference. If not then I still think the rules are unfair.I would hope that since I carry a valid tag for a current season that It would make it O.K. Any thoughts......?

I've really been reading this over and over and the only "out" to be found is if you own your own land.
That doesn't mean if dad or grandpa owns the land...you can take the kid if he is your direct dependant living in your household and the property is titled to you or your wife.

Palmated, I never even thought about filming. My brother in law tagged along with me the first weekend of bow season to sit and run a camera next to me. He doesn't bow hunt but the weather that weekend was great and he wanted to be outdoors. That won't happen again!

I too have a hard time believing a CO would interpret the regs this strictly, but it's still the law. I refuse to participate or be party to breaking it if I'm conscious of the fact that it's wrong.
I think I've got a good reason to contact my state representative. It may not do any good but I'll do a little lobbying to try and get some wheels turning to get this law adjusted.

good deal because I didnt like the idea of breaking the law even if i was unaware of it.......bukket thanks for the information.

I agree it should be changed. A few years ago I took my daughter turkey hunting 2nd season and didn't hunt myself until 4th. Found out later that I should of had a 2nd season tag myself. Won't let that happen again but it should be changed. Maggs

Top Bottom