Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Technical" question about DNR regulations

Maggs,
Turkey season is different. You only need a vaild tag for one of the four seasons or if you hunt with a bow one tag. So if your daughter had a vaild 2nd season tag you were fine. I can pull a quote from the regs in a minute I need to find em...
waytogo.gif

Here ya go Maggs!

A resident hunter having a valid spring turkey hunting license for any zone or season, may accompany, call for or otherwise assist another hunter who has a valid turkey hunting license for any zone and season.

I got this reply emailed to me from a friend who contacted the DNR via Email.

On page 6 of the Iowa Hunting Regulation booklet, under "Helping Other Hunters" (Deer) reads: Resident and nonresident hunters with a valid deer hunting license may hunt with and assist other deer hunters only in the season specified on their license."

Since you don't have a license for that season you can't assist in his hunt in any manner. It doesn't preclude you from just observing, i.e. sitting with him or taking pictures/video of the hunt. Just no active participation in the hunt.

Hope it goes well for you and your grandson.

Hope this helps clarify things a bit.

I agree the deer rules need changed. I've contacted the DNR and CO in the past. They said I could not be out with one of my sons during early muzzleloader - even if I had a bow tag. I now have 2 sons, under 15, and I can't legally take both of them hunting in 2nd season because you must have a licensed adult for each child. So, one will be sitting with Grandpa and one with me. Next year the oldest is 12, so he can take the hunter ed course and have his own hunting license. Turkey is much better. I can hunt 1st, take one boy 2nd, the other 3rd, and then whoever didn't harvest during 4th. I understand the reason (keeping people from driving deer in another season), but it sure makes it hard for Dad to introduce his kids to the sport. My boys would love to shoot does, which is what the DNR wants, so make it easier for me to be out with them! Sorry for rambling, but this one really bugs me.

As has already been said, you cannot assist another hunter without a tag for that same season, with the exception of the youth season where it is a must.

As for assisting Jr. #1 and #2, there are opportuniteis to do this. One example is to buy a late season state wide muzzloader and a second season antlerless only. In this case, you can hunt both of those two seasons and assist one child each season. These two seasons also give you many days of opportunites to do this.

As for changing the rules, I am all for it but can see a lot of abuse happening such as dad buying the kid's tags for just about every season and then assisting Jr. to the point of being the trigger man. An almost legal way for dad to get away with killing multiple deer every year and trust me, there are the slobs that would do this.

Top Bottom