Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

teenage poachers...."thrill killers"

The town is divided on wether or not they should be allowed to play football??? Way to teach them a lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

firepoggy said:
The town is divided on wether or not they should be allowed to play football??? Way to teach them a lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

I think it they are thinking about that because they made it to state, but ya pretty sad.

Ridiculous! From what I have heard, they are talking a total of ~ $600 in fines! I pay way more than that in a year, just in gas to go hunting and I'm an Iowa resident! Obviously these kids don't have the slightest respect for anything and certainly a $600 dollar fine isn't going to teach them anything. What, a weeks worth of pay for a high school student at a summertime job? Give me a break!

It shouldnt even be discissed in my opinion. Stay home and listen to the game on the radio.......punks!!!

Funny how people in the comments on that page are trying to justify the poaching because it costs $1000's to their car when they hit a deer, or, "they're just kids. They didn't know any better". Riiiiiiiiight

We have a group of kids around where I hunt that are doing the same thing. One of the parents turned them in and the DNR officer did nothing about it. In fact they had some deer hanging in the front yard durning the doe season and all the DNR did was tell them to go buy tags. This kind of stuff gives the rest of us hunters a bad rap. Throw the book at them.

What a great opporutnity for the state to set an example on what will happen to you if you are caught poaching. However, they will let the opportunity slip through their hands, and just slap these kids on the wrist. These kids have probably learned to do this by watching someone else do it (Dad, Grandpa, Uncle) and probably think it is ok to perform such acts. These kids should not play football or any other sport for the rest of the school year, in fact they should be mandated to community service. In fact their punishment should stop just short of kicking them out of school. These kids have no respect for wildlife or the amount of time and dollars it takes to harvest a deer or other game the right way. What makes anyone think they have respect for anyone or anything else?

a little more background on the case from an individual that was involved. The kids had admitted to doing this numerous times in the past and have a "deer count" well into the hundreds. They just happened to get caught this time. As an earlier poster mentioned, this is one small case and it happens throughout southern iowa and has been going on for a long time. The press this case is getting is rare in my opinion- I read about it in the muscatine newspaper. The million dollar question in my mind is who to put pressure on so these little j holes get made an example of. County attornies in these southern and more rural counties rarely impose any type of serious fine for crimes involving deer and deer hunting (including tresspassers). I firmly believe they take the attitude so many uneducated people take in that "its only a deer and there are way too many anyways". So if someone could tell me who to put the presure on I would appreciate it. DNR officers work hard to catch these types only to see it go by the wayside once it enters the legal system. HANG EM HIGH!! and let everyone see what happens when you get caught. And I doubt they have any type of real guidance from parents(or probably parent) to help set them straight.

Money/services have no doubt been exchanged over this. Have t-shirts, signs, all kinds of things that read " Wanted- hundreds of deer, poached by kids in this area, returned to the legal hunters". People that know me, know I would have one for everyday.............ck

"Too many deer anyway, shoot em all"..... I wish these people knew that the taxes off the revenue brought into this state from deer hunting alone probably pays their welfare

"Too many deer anyway, shoot em all"..... I wish these people knew that the taxes off the revenue brought into this state from deer hunting alone probably pays their welfare

And the tags pay for State Parks, wildlife habitat, and the freaking bike trails.

They definitely should not be allowed to play football. Their crimes definitely justify suspension from any further play. I understand the team is going to stand (more than likely first time ever) but that doesn't change the fact that they committed the crimes they did.

This should not even be an issue for the school to decide, the parents should not even give the kids a chance "NO GAME".

As far as punishment, the state can only do no more than what is written in law. Now there may be a max. or min. since they admitted to doing this countless times than they should get the max.

This would be pretty hard thing to hide from your parents if it has been going on this long.

Those fines are bogus, maybe if the fines were 200 to 1000 per offense and worthy of being called a fine people would think twice about poaching. 20 dollars doesnt seem like justice for the animal. I say we shoot the poachers and let them lay and suffer!!! Do it by the law or dont do it!!!

hopefully, when this goes to court, they will have the "reimbursement fee" added on by the state

Top Bottom