Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Telling Differenence between deer

rarndt16

I have had trouble with telling the difference between some deer on my trail can pics. Is there any specific things you can look at to tell the difference. They arnt great pictures but it's just what i have to work with. If I could find out how to put pics on here via iPhone I could post them, but I'm lost lol.

ear notches, beam curl up on the end, hair coloring/markings on the nose, legs, and neck.

Muddy pretty much covered it. I'd start with the racks, look for any similarities or differences. Tine length, tine curl, look for anything unusual on any particular deer and see if you can match it up on the next one. Next, compare white patches (nose and throat). Get the pics you are comparing side by side so you can look back and forth easily.

Well, one thing to consider is your overall age structure for the area you are hunting. Most one to two year old deer will always have similar racks (aside from number of points). This is why I don't keep any trail cam pictures of extremely young bucks unless they have some type of "rare" feature that does set them apart.

Once they reach three or four years of age you can start to pick up distinct differences. Many at this time will grow certain features on their racks that seperate them from others.

Your best bet is to upload them to photobucket.com. If you don't have an account, make one (it's free) and save your pics there. When a photo is uploaded to photobucket, click on it and there will be 4 links below it. Copy the IMG Code and paste it directly to the message box here. That's the easiest way to do it IMO.

Top Bottom