Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tennessee / Kentucky Spring Turkey

Hill Holler

Considering taking a trip out east to hunt turkeys this spring. Debating on going to either Tennessee or Kentucky.

From my understanding, you can harvest two toms in Kentucky on one license. Kentucky has quite a bit of public with Daniel Boone National Forest and other areas. Tennessee seems a lot more restrictive with their WMA's in regards to obtaining permits and hunting dates/times but also has quite a bit of other public areas.

Leaning more towards Kentucky because Tennessee is the "hot topic" right now and seems like more and more people are going there to hunt turkeys.

Does anyone have any experience with either state and have any insight for either one?

I’ve hunted both, more often in Tennessee. If you were asking 8-10 years ago it would be TN no question. You could still gain permission at at farms as you drive through Middle TN scoping gobblers on private. You could easily find turkeys on public- a lot of pieces as you mentioned, majority are smaller tracts though. Permission is pretty restricted now, pushed more people onto public at the same time. Nashville’s exploded with people and TN turkey hunting has been a hot button place for the past decade, especially in the South. Harvest numbers are still high on public but it’s hunted very hard. You can kill in TN but I would go Kentucky for the vast amount of public. Plenty enough turkeys, you can get alone out there pretty easily. You’re not getting alone in TN…Terrain and country are prettier in my opinion love those big hardwood hills. More quality experience if we’re talking a pure turkey trip. Both can be great though and have their own perks! Good luck to ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned before, up till a few tears ago TN was amazing. But not any longer. The pressure in tn is pretty heavy on public. The season start dates have been pushed to mid April. We'll over 80% of harvest occurs in first 16 days of season. It gets hot and very green down here by May. Birds get hard to kill after beginning of May. Tn and ky both have a 2 bird limit and I suspect tn license is higher priced.
If you decide to come to TN, send me a message and will help you out.

I have hunted Kentucky several times but all on private ground. IMO Kentucky does it right with how they set up their season. They start late enough (mid April) so the majority of hens are on nest already and it’s only a three week season so the birds don’t get absolutely decimated. I hunt western Kentucky and it is gorgeous with plenty of birds.

Thanks for the input. It does look like TN is about twice the price. I think I'm set on Kentucky and was looking into Eastern Kentucky due to the amount of public in the area. Definitely would hear out any input on East vs West.

Top Bottom