Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thanksgiving Weekend

KabNam

Thanksgiving and the days after can traditionally be good deer hunting.

With Thanksgiving falling late on the calendar this year (Nov. 27) what are your thoughts on the big bucks hopefully still being on their feet looking for the last does to breed?

I just don't know about this year. I honestly think this week-Sunday will be the best opportunity. It is always a crap shoot to begin with isn't it anyways?!?

It will still be good. In my experiences I see rutting activity of some sort all the way up until about a half hour into first season shotgun and then the bucks change from thinking about breeding to thinking about surviving for 3 weeks. I feel that next weekend will be the best weekend to be in a tree and the temps will be perfect.

Yes I agree, the cold front due to hit end of the week makes this weekend a good one to be in a tree.

It will still be good. In my experiences I see rutting activity of some sort all the way up until about a half hour into first season shotgun and then the bucks change from thinking about breeding to thinking about surviving for 3 weeks. I feel that next weekend will be the best weekend to be in a tree and the temps will be perfect.

Very true:way:

I remember one year I hunted some public land the last week right up to first shotgun. I hunted 4 nights November 29th, December 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I saw 3 that would of grossed 170 and a couple other good ones all on public ground. It can be good right up to the end. Heck I have seen bucks dogging does during late muzz and shotgun season. You just never know when a young one will come in heat.

This makes me feel ALOT better. I hunted this mornin till 8 had to get to work at 9 as I was drivin past where I was just hunting I saw a doe being chased by a 150 class buck. Figures. Glad you guys are still keepin me hopeful.

The last year we had a later first season shotgun, 3 years ago I think, it was a full moon and we had snow cover and for about an hour before legal shooting light I watched a hot doe about 100 yards away with 4 or 5 bucks trying to get near her with a stud chasing the does off. Once shots started going off throughout the timber they scattered, but I have always preferred late november to early november and that includes every day up until shotgun season.

Two of three best encounters last year were on thanksgiving morning and the following Saturday morning. I'm excited for the next two weeks!

I have a feeling the week of THanksgiving is going to be hot. Colder weather. Late Moon Phase and hopefully a few does that haven't gone into Estrous. Wait for it LEGENDARY.

Top Bottom