Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Biggest Deer of your lifetime

I don't study the antlers enough to make the decision quick enough to actually pass on a deer that's busted up. I pretty much know instantly if I'm going to take the deer or not.

That said, I've only actually taken two deer P & Y quality (a 128" and a 150") so for me it's not too hard to pull the trigger. Especially since I hunt public ground, if the deer will score P & Y or better, I'm normally going to take the shot.

I have no hard feelings if someone passes a deer because he's busted up, espeically if you think you can find the deer again next year. I don't have access to any good private land currently that I'd have the luxary of being able to do that.

Probably not! Had a buck at about 140 yrds a few years back! Probably one of a very few I would swear went #300 on the hoof! He had a huge 4 point right side, really white rack! When I called to him he turned his head and started at a walk toward me! Suuuprise! No left side!!:mad: I let him walk on by! :confused: I know what it takes to make a 160" - 8 ! He woulda been all that if the gone side was even!! Buddy that hunt's the same land saw him a week later and agreed on his size!! :confused: Never saw him again!!

I harvested my biggest buck ever on Oct 29th 2012 with a Bow. I had never seen this buck live. I have his matched set from 2009 I believe. I have one trail cam pic from August 2012. In the cam pic he had all of his tines in velvet. When I harvested him he was missing his left G4. Here is the kicker! With that tine intact he grosses 177 4/8 roughly, and would have net around 175-176" B&C. With 5.5 inches broken off he now grosses 172", and will likely net around 166ish. Missing out on B&C all time records, but will still make B&C awards. I NEVER thought about passing this buck one time. I even saw him 3 days in a row, and knew he was busted up. I am ecstatic in the fact that I shot a gross Booner. In my mind I shot a B&C weather he makes Book, or not. I can say with certainty that at least 5 guys had seen this buck in 3 days, and he would have been shot by one of them, so I am glad I had the opportunity to get him first.
Image042.jpg

Big10resize5.jpg

Big10resize1.jpg

Big10resize7.jpg

When I shot this buck back in 2006 (I think), it was my largest to date. It still might be if I added in a busted tine credit, but I don't think about that. When I posted the harvest photos on IW, many people asked/said they would fix it. It is still as killed.;)
2006November24.jpg

I guess my thoughts are if he is big enough and I was in panic mode I probably wouldn't even know he was busted. If I could obviously tell he was busted I would have hard time shooting. I have passed up bucks during bow season I know would of been my biggest deer if he wasn't busted.

Top Bottom