Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Border Wars

blake

Life Member
WarPaint_1.jpg

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>Second Amendment to the United States Constitution!</span>.
<span style="color: #CC0000"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."</span> </span>

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Mexico asks Obama for aid in drugs war</span>

By Adam Thomson in Mexico City

Felipe Calderón has called on the new US administration to contribute potentially tens of billons of dollars in additional funds to help Mexico fight its war on drugs.

In an interview with the Financial Times, the Mexican president said that -neither the financial aid offered so far by Washington, nor US efforts to curb illegal activity along its 2,000-mile border had proved sufficient.

"The help should be equivalent to the flow of money that American consumers give to the criminals," he said in reference to US citizens' consumption of narcotics supplied by Mexico's drug cartels. When asked to estimate that sum, Mr Calderón replied: "Between $10bn and $35bn (€30bn, £24bn) - the truth is that nobody knows."

Mexico's centre-right premier has long insisted on the need for more commitment from Washington but this is the first time he has been so outspoken on the issue since he declared an all-out war on the narcotics industry just over two years ago. Since then, combating the cartels has become the overriding focus of his administration.

Mr Calderón's suggested figure dwarfs the scale of funding that Washington has promised Mexico to date. Congress last month approved a $300m package as part of the Merida Initiative, a three-year programme to help Mexico fight the cartels - $150m less than the US administration had asked for and $100m less than last year's budget.

Mr Calderón, who made no effort to hide his disappointment at the scaling back of the funding, said: "Obviously the money is not enough, particularly if the amount is reduced like that."

In addition to extra funds, Mr Calderón said that the US had to do more to reduce domestic drug consumption, as well as crack down on the illegal flow of arms from the US into Mexico.

Officials on both sides of the border estimate that 90 per cent of the arms used by Mexican cartels come from the US.

"If we want to address this problem seriously, there has to be a far greater commitment [by the US administration]," said Mr Calderón.

The force of that message is unlikely to be lost on Washington, which has expressed growing concern about Mexico's bloody war and is sending a slew of top-ranking officials south of the border in the coming weeks to discuss security issues.

Hillary Clinton, US secretary of state, yesterday concluded a two-day visit to Mexico and Barack Obama, US president, has confirmed that he will stop off in Mexico in mid-April on his way to the summit of the Americas in Trinidad.

Washington's concern is barely surprising: more than 6,000 people were murdered in drug-related violence in Mexico last year - roughly three times the figure for 2007.

About 200 of those victims were decapitated, and some were found diced and left in vats of acid.

Much of the violence has occurred along the country's northern border, which is shared by California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.

Mr Calderón was this month forced to send 7,000 soldiers and federal police to take over Ciudad Juárez, the city that neighbours El Paso, Texas and is home to many US manufacturing companies.

The decision came after local authorities admitted that a turf war between two competing cartels for Juárez's smuggling routes into the US as well as control of the local market was spiralling out of control.

Most of all, Mr Calderón's message is likely to catch the attention of the US secretary of state.

Mrs Clinton has admitted that the US shared the blame for the growing violence in Mexico. "Our insatiable demand for illegal drugs fuels the drug trade," she conceded on her flight to Mexico.

"Our inability to prevent weapons from being illegally smuggled across the border to arm these criminals causes the deaths of police officers, soldiers and -civilians."

Mr Calderón, who met Mrs Clinton on Wednesday, welcomed what he described as "a change, not only in the discourse, but also in the attitude of the American government", towards Mexico's war on drugs.

During her trip to Mexico, Mrs Clinton emphasised that Congress has now authorised a total of $700m for the Merida Initiative and that the US wants to speed up its delivery of military hardware to Mexico.

Speaking at an event with Mexico's foreign minister, she added that the Obama administration would try to work with Congress to provide $80m for Blackhawk helicopters for Mexico.

Mrs Clinton yesterday also signalled her support for a new US assault weapons ban. "I think these assault weapons, these military-style weapons, don't belong on anyone's street," she told NBC, while acknowledging that reinstating the 1990s ban was politically a "very heavy lift".

hoofline.gif

The above post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of iowawhitail.com, the administrators of this website, or any of the moderators. This post is intended for informational purposes only and should not be interpreted as any form of political promotion by iowawhitetail.com or any of the IW staff.

PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
[email protected]

<span style="color: #FF0000">This post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of iowawhitail.com, the administrators of this website, or any of the moderators other than me. This post is intended for informational purposes only and should not be interpreted as any form of political promotion by iowawhitetail.com or any of the IW staff</span>.

hoofline.gif

Marijuana according to the talking heads on the news channels is the “Drug of Choice” for Americans.

The United States has been losing the war on Drugs for decades. Government couldn’t stop the sale of illegal alcohol right here in our own country.

Today’s government and taxes payers don’t want to fund alcohol & substance abuse programs.

Therefore I agree with legalizing marijuana. Why not manufacture it, package it, sell it to the public and tax it. Or perhaps allow a citizen to grown their own marijuana for their consumption only?

By doing the two above mentioned ideas the U.S. would stop a good deal of illegal drug trafficking and could focus on the more harm drugs entering and being manufactured this county. And let us not forget that a large percentage of illegal drug trafficking is coming across the Canadian Border.

I also support stopping the illegal flow of firearms from the U.S. to Mexico. Key word illegal! I strongly support the Secondadment rights of U.S. citizens to own and have in their possession any type of firearm they wish as long as they secure those firearms from others. Don’t try to impose an assault weapons ban on citizens of the United States who are law abiding people and make them criminals because they own one of the many types of firearms that some in our government would like to see banned. Go after the criminals that are stealing, buying, and transporting these types of firearms.

Then we have the problem of stopping human trafficking and terrorist. Sorry I don’t have time to go into this massive problem.

<span style="color: #FF0000">They key to most of the above mentioned problems is tightening our borders with Mexico and Candia. Bring our National Guard soldiers home! Let the National Guard do what they are supposed to do! <u>Guard our Nation</u>! Throw away the hand book for “Rules of Engagement” and our border problems will be solved!</span>

1857272.gif

hoofline.gif

PM
Ron Wyllie
[email protected]

No offense intended Ron, but you can bet as much "bad" is coming out of the U.S into Canada as from Canada into the U.S. You make it sound as though alot of drugs come to the US out of Canada and that is indeed true but you can guarantee as much is coming out of the states into Canada if not more. I know alot of marijuana comes out of British Columbia and is distributed into the US and Canada but viewing the northern border as an area that is any worse for the U.S than it is for Canada is a bit obtuse. In terms of firearms, we're so tightly would about guns one can't even get a pellet gun across the border into Canada without bending over backwards and jumping through 100 hoops. Drug use is epidemic worldwide and for certain marijuana would be Canada's drug of choice too. I read once that Cocaine is quickly becoming our #2 choice and that is a drug that is coming from down south not from within.

Legalization of #1 would do nothing here but create billions of dollars in gov't tax revenues and allow plumbers, lawyers, scumbags, welfare bums, teachers, nurses, farmers, gov't employees etc to quit hiding in their backyard hooting on a reefer. I can't believe it hasn't happened while the alcohol consumption doesn't cause anyone to bat an ayelash.

I don't know what can be done in terms of tightening border security both ways, there must be something. Your illegal immigrant problem however is definately coming from below, not above.

I guess I didn't know there were still Mexicans in Mexico. Thought they all moved here. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

How many people here believe that the Mexican drug cartels are filling out the paperwork and then buying $1,000 semi auto AR-15’s and sneaking them across the border into Mexico instead of buying $200 fully auto AK-47’s from China and other countries with no export bans?

I watched a news story on this the other night (think it was NBC) they talked about full autos in Mexico, said they were “our” AR-15’s and showed pictures of “seized weapons” the “weapons” were 3 really nice looking (fancy engraving, pretty stocks) over/under shotguns. Just how many cartels are armed with $6,000 shotguns?

I’m sure this is a “you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours” thing with Hillary (or someone else)and Mr Calderón. You help us with this gun ban and we'll help get you money.

Top Bottom