Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Christmas Buck

NWBuck

PMA Member
Story as written by my son NWHunter...with only minor editorial revisions and help with pics from me.

Christmas day 2014 is one I will never forget. After enjoying a great meal and some quality time with family, my dad and I decided it was such a nice day that we should enjoy part of it in a deer blind. It was sort of a last minute decision to take all of our hunting gear along, and we were glad we had. Since shotgun season our trailcam pics have shown that deer have been coming into our turnip plot very late; often in the last 15 minutes or so of legal shooting light. This is something we have become accustomed to during the last few late muzzleloader seasons though. So we weren't too worried when the family card game wrapped up just before 4:00 and we wouldn't get our usual 2 or 3 hour sit...there was still time to make it happen.

We got settled in the blind at about 4:20 and would have about an hour of legal shooting light. At 4:48 a big buck appeared, but he was a long ways away...probably 250 yards or more. He began looking into the hillside, and soon another buck showed up only about 150 yards away, but headed our way quickly. It only took him a couple of minutes to come into our plot and within range. I debated whether or not I should shoot him because he was not as big as the other buck, but the other buck didn't look like he was coming our way. Dad told me it was totally my decision, and when he stopped at about 70 yards broadside, I decided he was worthy of my final youth tag, and squeezed the trigger. The shot felt good, but I was not completely confident as I have had some rough luck with my muzzleloader in the last couple of years. As the smoke cleared we watched the buck run back into the hillside, and were pretty sure we heard a loud crash shortly after he got there. With only about 10 minutes of daylight left, we decided it made sense to use it to try to find him before dark. We had only looked about 5 minutes when we found him crashed with his head wedged in some trees :D

He's not the Iowa giant that I see on here a lot, but it felt good to have everything work out like it's supposed to, and I'm really glad I shot him.

Oops...it's Christmas day and I just got a good buck. I should probably smile :D

Dad and I thanked God for the experience, and for the ultimate gift He gave us on this day so many years ago. Then, I just about killed dad with the drag back to the truck :D Merry Christmas all, and good luck to those of you still out after 'em.

We have thousands of trail cam pics from the area where the buck was shot, so I figured we'd have one of the Christmas Buck. There were several…here's the best one, from back in September.

NWHunter

Last edited:
Now just me. Kind of a bittersweet hunt for me, because even though I am thrilled for Hunter to score on this buck, I know that it brings to a close what has easily become my favorite time in the woods…youth season. Hunting has been one vehicle for Hunter, my daughter Krista and I to spend many hours together over the past few seasons. Couldn't help but chuckle and reminisce this morning as I browsed through just a few of the Photobucket highlights...

Our first hunt together. He was 4, and said "Great shot Dad!" when I dropped this doe in her tracks :D

Hunter's first deer…2008.

Krista's first deer…2009

Hunter's first buck…2009. Guess he must've needed new jeans :confused:

A perfect shot on a youth season doe…2010. Gotta love the Hawkeye sweatshirt and IW hat :)

Krista's Crabclaw 6…2011. He's a legend in our family :D

A youth season turkey for Hunter…2012.

Thanks for the indulgence…great times for sure, and I'm reasonably confident I've got a couple of hunting partners who will tag along for seasons to come. Good luck out there everyone!

NWBuck

Last edited:
Well done, congrats, and I love the youth hunts as well the best there is. It's also a pleasure to watch these young hunters grow up with us here on IW. Thanks for sharing!

Congratulations to you and your family. I was able to "guide" all three of my youth season girls to a buck this year. Two of them being there first deer. Wonderful memories to have with the kids!

Oh man, that brings a tear to the eye. I am in the same boat this year as it is my daughter's last youth season and we are still out there trying. Crazy how fast time flies.

Pass along a big congrats to Hunter!

What a great story and memories forever. Great buck, story, and even better reflections... I'm sure you're very proud. ;)

Congrats to all & a special congrats to Hunter for a very nice buck.

Great shot & story....kinda looks like that buck prefers death in a more upright position. Shud be good eating, we have always had some super good venison from a buck.
We have not been deer hunting yet, have some open tags & hope to take a couple late season hunts. Gma & Gpa

Top Bottom