Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"The Count" - fanged buck

FinBonZ

Life Member
Last Friday, after 2-3 days of wind, I head out to hunt an evening in a new stand sight. A month ago I was moving the stand to a large scrape I found shed hunting last spring. I walked in circles on this ridge line trying to find a straight tree to set up in and ended up putting it in the only one I can find.. the tree that the scrape is under. I knew it wasn't the best setup but I figured it would be fine. So I finally get settled in for the hunt, wait awhile, give a couple grunts, bleats, and then finally some light rattling. No luck. About 20 min. later I notice a buck cruising one ridge away. I grunt to stop him right before he gets to a washout. A follow up call gets him to turn and head up the towards me. It is now that I realize he is one of the biggest bucks I have had come in and I also realize he has a broken mainbeam. Didn't take me long to forget about passing him up. He stopped about 3/4ths of the way up the hill and freezes, ears scanning back & forth trying to pick up another sound from this "intruder" in his area. After about 3 min. he turns to head away up the ridge giving me about a 15 yd. shot. The shot hits high but puts him down and after what seems like an hour I am able to start getting my breathing under control.

The following day I hear that a fellow bowhunter has pictures of this buck and the story goes that it was hit by a car leading to the broken beam. He is by far my best bowkill. Below are the 2 pics I have had forwarded to me followed by a few harvest photos. This great buck gave me another surprise a couple days later and it is how he earned his nickname.

2010bowbuck.jpg

2010bowkill.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

So I do my best at caping it out and am cleaning the skull. I go to pull the jaw off and I feel something out of place on the roof of the buck's mouth. Sure enough.....fangs! I remembered seeing a post on here (I think) about this being a recessive trait from many moons ago. From what I have read, some say this happens 1 in every 8 to 10,000 and others say it is more common. Either way it adds uniqueness to this buck and is the first deer that I ever have tried to tag with a name. Seems to fit.
IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_1993.jpg

Slob of a deer...congrats :drink2:

And great pic with the kids...those are always the best :way:

NWBuck

Great buck.

If you're thinking about a mount and want the busted part fixed give me a call. The park ranger @ Kent Park does antler repair for fun and his work is scary amazing. He either uses sheds and cuts them to fit or he cuts replacement out of wood. He then hand paints them to match. I've never been able to tell the difference where real begins and fake ends.

Then we can talk about those turkey wings ihave for you still!

Wow, what a buck! I've never been aware of those fangs before, so that's an education to me! Learn something new every day!

Great buck! Its too bad he had to run out in front of someone and break that beam, but hes still a good one. My buddy shot a buck a couple years back in SW Wisc that had the fangs.

Top Bottom