Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Decline of A Legend

pete

This buck made a brief appearance in front of my trail camera in October 2006. You can imagine my excitement because I was somewhat new to trail camming and this was my largest buck to that date on camera.
NT06-1.jpg

A few weeks went by and this buck got very photogenic, unfortunately, he also got very broken up!
12DSC04716-med.jpg

12DSC04949-thumb1.jpg

NT1.JPG

Because the buck had gotten very broken up I had decided if I was given the chance at a shot at him I would pass because he may have great potential for the up coming year. Late in November the last day, of my 2 week rut vacation, he offered me a 20 yard shot and I passed on it. I shed hunted hard in the spring, and ended up finding his right side. (The Picture doesn't do it Justice)
NT06_shed.jpg

In 2007 I watched my cameras closely hoping the buck was still in the area, in August, I fianlly captured some photos of him.

DSC03252.JPG

DSC03286.JPG

Although he didn't grow the third main beam or have the palmation on the right side, I had decided if he didn't get broken up and provided me a shot I would definately take him, because he seemed to be declining and judging from his body size in 07 I was thinking he may be an older buck than what I had thought.
NT2.JPG

Late in October of 2007 I had traveled the hour from my home to hunt this buck, I hunted in the am and stopped at my parents to visit after the morning hunt. Unfortunately my Dad was still harvesting his corn and asked me to help him the rest of the day. I agreed and remembered the 2 weeks of Vacation I had taken in November to hunt. I helped him all day, and around 4:00 that afternoon while he was unloading the combine he asked "Aren't you going hunting?" I rushed to unload the full tractor and wagon and get it back to my dad so he had an empty. It was approaching 5pm when I fianlly arrived, and was to late to try and maneuver into one of my stands, I decided to sit on an old wooded fenceline that ran perpendicular out of the piece in which I beleved this buck to be living at. I knocked an arrow arrow and patiently waited, below me was about 10 acres in which we had planted 5000 trees 12 years before, I looked down and what appeared to be around 40 yards away was a huge scrape. I had forgotten my rangefinder so I couldn't be sure. I had only been sitting for 10 minutes when two does came blasing out of the timber and straight down the fenceline I was sitting on. I pulled up my binoculars to see what chased them out. Out of the woods came my buck. He grunted twice and started down the fenceline towards the does, I slowly moved up to my knees and prepared for a shot. Suddenly the buck veered off the fencline and ran down to the scrape 40 yards away, I drew my bow and waited what seemed like an eternity for him to turn broadside, he finally did and I let the arrow fly and watched it go low right under neath him, by the time I had another knocked he was long gone. I waited a few minutes and then stepped off the distance 47 yards, woops! I misjudged it! I never got another chance at him in 2007, I did see him late in January of this year so I knew he had also made it through all of the shotgun and late muzzleloader seasons.
I put my cameras up in June and have patiently been waiting for him to make an appearance all summer. Finally he did.

NT08.jpg

Somewaht disappointing he has gotten smaller again this year.

Thanks for sharing! I remember those pics. Maybe even more of a trophy in my book due to his age. I'd target him. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

No offense, but even if he is smaller, you should still feel very accomplished to harvest and old mature buck. If he is past his prime, what does that put him at for an age.. 9? maybe 10? Its possible..I would love to tag a deer that old, because they are the old wise ones that know all the tricks. That would be more of a trophy to me than any score could be. Just my 2 cents

Still an awesome buck.. but sure woulda been nice to get him before he got all broken up in '06.. Brute! Good Luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flugge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No offense, but even if he is smaller, you should still feel very accomplished to harvest and old mature buck. If he is past his prime, what does that put him at for an age.. 9? maybe 10? Its possible..I would love to tag a deer that old, because they are the old wise ones that know all the tricks. That would be more of a trophy to me than any score could be. Just my 2 cents </div></div>

I agree, My guess it that he is 7 1/2, but there no way to tell for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My guess it that he is 7 1/2, but there no way to tell for sure. </div></div>

Cementum annuli

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My guess it that he is 7 1/2, but there no way to tell for sure. </div></div>

Cementum annuli </div></div>

JNRBRONC,
I agree, but I would have to harvest him first, I guess I was talking about aging on the hoof. LOL

Still an awesome buck! Good luck with him. He knows every trick in the book by now so if you harvest him at this point, you can be proud that you made the perfect hunt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowabowtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still an awesome buck! Good luck with him. He knows every trick in the book by now so if you harvest him at this point, you can be proud that you made the perfect hunt.</div></div>

I agree!

I remember him from here the last couple years . Id have no problem puttin him on the wall , good luck with him.

Thanks for sharing. That's a cool story. I think flugge hit it on the head. There should be a sense of accomplishment if you get a chance at him. Good luck this season.

hoofline.gif

I can imagine those trialcam photos in frames hanging below that great mature buck mount. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Details Here!&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; Join now and you are automatically entered into the 2008 Big Buck Contest!

11.jpg

Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.

didnt look like he would back down from a fight what a stud awesome story and history good luck with him.

neat to have so many pics of him over the years. Despite his decline in score, he has made up for it in experience

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
hoofline.gif

I can imagine those trialcam photos in frames hanging below that great mature buck mount. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

</div></div>

That's what I was thinking. He'd still be a trophy.

size dont necessarily make the trophy....
Good Luck with him!
hope to see him in the Harvest forum!!!!

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom