Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Fenceline Gobbler

Rona1time

After many failed attempts to lure a tom into bow range I decided to try my luck with the 12 gauge.

Robert (Wapsiguy) and I had spotted a tom working a open pasture a few days before and since we couldnt find and suitable cover we sat up on a fenceline in hopes he would repeat his daily routine.

picture.php

We expected him to be roosted in the trees that are close to the field to our west but he changed it up a bit and was a lttle further off than we expected, probley close to 300 yards. He would answer the calls and soon enough he was in sight, well at least to wapsiguy. He had sat up behind me to the east around 15 yards down the fenceline and could see himto our NW around 200 yards in a cornfield. I was able to get turned around but still couldnt see the bird because of the thick brush. I was finally able to see him at 30-35 yards but there was no way to get a shot thru the dense brush. I lost him but could hear him strutting and getting closer. That is about the time I hear Robert whispering loudly "SHOOT THAT _____", "SHOOT THAT _____". When he came back into view he was less than 5 yards and coming thru the gap in the fence between Robert and I going to the decoys.

picture.php

picture.php

He spotted somthing suspicious and started to do the oh crap dance and ended up taking it in the back of the head at 10 yards as he walked away.

picture.php

picture.php

Stats are as follows:

21.5 pounds
.875" spurs
10" beard

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom