Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Franz buck

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
The DNR tried to take out any grey area in regards to baiting a few years ago. The "baiters" won, the DNR lost. I can dig up the bill number if you'd like.

Huh, I didn't know that, I wish the baiters hadn't won! I was basing my thoughts off of this DM register article. That's what I get for reading the "news"
Haha! The article almost infers that the DNR is ok with the current law and the way it's setup.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...o-iowas-deer-laws-victimize-hunters/76994238/

Other than trying to draw particular deer to your own hunting land; I see no reason for using any kind of bait any time of year. It certainly takes the hunt out of hunting!

Is this a joke? Yes, baiting for the purpose of drawing deer to your land DURING season takes the hunt out of hunting....and is also illegal. Baiting any other time of the year has no affect on hunting season. If you think that the pile of corn I have on the ground right now has any affect on what a deer does come October, you're crazy. Same as using mineral throughout the spring....deer don't care about mineral in the fall, it won't persuade them to use that trail any differently than they would have otherwise. I do understand the restrictions on mineral and not having it leach into the ground.

My reasons for providing food for the deer is three-fold.
1. I'm always looking to take inventory of deer with cameras. What deer made it through, how did this or that deer develop this year, etc, etc.
2. Spring time minerals help boost antler growth.
3. Winter time food helps the herd health by providing an easy source of food and (may) help keep bucks closer to an area you can shed hunt.

My reasons for providing food for the deer is three-fold.
1. I'm always looking to take inventory of deer with cameras. What deer made it through, how did this or that deer develop this year, etc, etc.
2. Spring time minerals help boost antler growth.
3. Winter time food helps the herd health by providing an easy source of food and (may) help keep bucks closer to an area you can shed hunt.

nailed it.............. im headed out to a couple places with alfalfa and corn now matter of fact

Absolutely fine. To be safe why can't those who bait for "inventory" keep the bait sites out of tree stand range? Pretty simple.

Absolutely fine. To be safe why can't those who bait for "inventory" keep the bait sites out of tree stand range? Pretty simple.

A lot of times the minerals are on edges near food plots where a lot of the deer use the area and of course there's going to be a tree stand somewhere in the area. Also easy access to walk or drive too without traipsing through the timber scaring everything away.

A lot of times the minerals are on edges near food plots where a lot of the deer use the area and of course there's going to be a tree stand somewhere in the area. Also easy access to walk or drive too without traipsing through the timber scaring everything away.

Plus being out of bow range is not enough. The way the law is written you could be quite a ways away but a CO could interpret the trails your hunting lead to the mineral site and it is influencing the deer your hunting. Meaning you're still baiting.

Wow, do some of you guys have a job or kill deer? Sometimes the ignorance is amazing! Those trail cam photos over a trophy rock make a great display after you kill the buck

The first thing I thought when I heard about this is wasn't the deer standing in a green food plot? Yet they are concerned about mineral? I don't know what the answer is, I know I wouldn't bait. This isn't Wisconsin. I cringe when I see a kill on the t.v. of any animal standing on a feed pile. So do you outlaw it all? I too enjoy my summer pics over mineral, can't say it would kill me if it wasnt allowed. Seems to me if someone is really baiting any c.o. that took a walk around the property would be able to see some pattern. Also why can't they have set distances? I suppose because you could hunt 100 yds off a corn pile and kill a deer and the way...
One thing I do know, what makes hunting here so great and enjoyable is the lack of shortcuts and some strict rules. Like the way I was raised, strict. Pissed me.off then but I sure am happy for all that now.

The first thing I thought when I heard about this is wasn't the deer standing in a green food plot? Yet they are concerned about mineral? I don't know what the answer is, I know I wouldn't bait. This isn't Wisconsin. I cringe when I see a kill on the t.v. of any animal standing on a feed pile. So do you outlaw it all? I too enjoy my summer pics over mineral, can't say it would kill me if it wasnt allowed. Seems to me if someone is really baiting any c.o. that took a walk around the property would be able to see some pattern. Also why can't they have set distances? I suppose because you could hunt 100 yds off a corn pile and kill a deer and the way... One thing I do know, what makes hunting here so great and enjoyable is the lack of shortcuts and some strict rules. Like the way I was raised, strict. Pissed me.off then but I sure am happy for all that now.

Just for proper portrayal... I wouldn't generalize the entire state of WI as baiting...41 of the 72 (57%) counties have no baiting. Basically the entire southern portion has no baiting.

Baiting for inventory is like party hunting. It's legal but many take extra liberties.

Last edited:
I'll never understand why the DNR would be against mineral sites that are going to benefit the deer herd in health....

I heard once it was because of congregation to one area and passing disease, potentially. Idk.

I heard once it was because of congregation to one area and passing disease, potentially. Idk.

They congregate in almost any preferred food sources....

Deer use the same trails, drink from the same areas, eat together, rub same trees, work the same scrapes, etc........

I'm not convinced at all the mineral sites are going to spread disease anymore than there normal habits...

They congregate in almost any preferred food sources....

Deer use the same trails, drink from the same areas, eat together, rub same trees, work the same scrapes, etc........

I'm not convinced at all the mineral sites are going to spread disease anymore than there normal habits...

I'm far from an expert on the subject but I do know the prions, what exactly those are I can't explain, that cause CWD can live in soil for an extended period of time. I'm sure a biologist would tell you that mineral licks concentrate deer in a smaller area then most AND increase the risk of transmission greatly. If I remember correctly they went so far as to try to get a bill passed to ban licks about the same time CWD was confirmed here.

Not looking to get in a fight I'm just sharing some info.

As far off topic as this has gone. I'm curious to see what the result of this case was but there's been so many rumors about it I'm sure we'll never fell like we know what the 100% truth is.

We have all heard many many rumors about this case. One rumor in particular I had heard from more than one source so I decided to track it down.

https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm

Click on [criminal charges disposition] and [financial]

May be a different guy with the same name, but the age is correct as well as the rumored county.

If this is indeed the same Joe Franz he is still innocent until proven guilty in the current case against him.

Last edited:
We have all heard many many rumors about this case. One rumor in particular I had heard from more than one source so I decided to track it down. https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm Click on [criminal charges disposition] and [financial] May be a different guy with the same name, but the age is correct as well as the rumored county. If this is indeed the same Joe Franz he is still innocent until proven guilty in the current case against him.
Judge stated he would have a decision within 15 days but that timeframe passed last week. Just waiting on judge....

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom