Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Gimps Asleep

caleb

Some of you may have seen the trail camera pictures of the buck I named the Gimp. For those who never saw it this was him.
gimptwofixed.jpg
gimponefixed.jpg
I never could get a glimpse of him moving during the day. Until last wednesday. We had a snowstorm dump about five inches of snow early last week and the deer were really starting to hit the standing corn strips. I had him at about 60 yards last wednesday while bowhunting. He was still trying to chase does, although his bum leg definately slowed him up a bit. I had to wait till well after dark to sneak out of the stand that night. Last friday, saturday and sunday was our muzzleloader season. I hunted the same stand that I saw him out of on wednesday whenever the wind would allow, with no new sightings. On sunday evening I was in a real dilema on where to sit since the wind wasn't perfect for that setup. I decided to go for broke and hunt it anyway, planning to rest it for a while if I was unsuccessful. Well it got right down to the wire. At 4:15 the last evening he came in trailing two small does. An easy 50 yard shot and the Gimp was down. An absolutely beautiful buck with a lot of character.
gimponefixed1.jpg
I could not be happier with the finish to my season. He grossed at 152 even (rough score). And that is with a 15 1/2 inch inside spread. The injury to his leg seemed to be caused by a broken femur. It is a solid mass of bone. I have not done a thorough autopsy on it yet, if I find anything interesting I will update this post. Thanks for reading, and there are still some big guys out there for those of you still hunting. It is time to switch to coyotes and geese now!

That's cool! Nice buck and congrats on sealing the deal. That is my goal, to get a nice buck that I've taken trail cam pics of. Congrats again.

Congrats! It's awesome that you've got trail cam photos of him, had encounters with him, and took advantage of the situation when given the opportunity!

hoofline.gif

Real nice deer, Congrats. Always nice to have a history with a deer. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<span style="color: #000099">Would you like more information about becoming an iowawhitetail PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; </span>Details Here!<span style="color: #000099">&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;</span>

hoofline.gif

Top Bottom