Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Good Ole Days

Muskrat24

This thread will start a debate that several of us have already had time and again but I have been thinking about this for awhile…. I started following the site somewhere in the late 2000s and didn’t become a registered user until 2014. In the early days here I would come to see what others were seeing for deer movement and to look at both trail cam footage and harvest photos. In 2011 I was fortunate to shoot a deer of 100 lifetimes (IMO) and in that year there were three deer posted on this site that were equivalent or bigger posted. Now we rarely see a field photo on here of a deer over 200 in any given year let alone three in one year. Most of the pics from back then were friend of a friend killed this, etc. but still not near as many BIG GIANTS posted like back in the hay day prior to 2012 EHD. My thoughts as I have stated before is generally speaking I think the numbers of mega giants has gone down in the woods. Thoughts?

As an outsider from Minnesota, I would say yes. EHD, better stands, more blinds, cameras, better and more efficient weapons, more lengthy seasons-non stop !

Think about the challenge of a buck surviving one season, let alone getting to 5 or older !

A lot of truth to this and it is totally Skip's fault for posting up his brother's 241" last year. Already this year I've had to let 4 Booners walk because I know they will just never measure up. ;)
I’m not kidding tho, maybe we could look back but 2011 had three deer over 220” posted on here!!

I’m not kidding tho, maybe we could look back but 2011 had three deer over 220” posted on here!!
I think it’s fun. & I don’t give a crap. & a deer like this being there one time doesn’t mean there ever be another again. Same with most.
I think the bigger reason is the age structure has taken a hit in last 10…. 1) deer #’s are down statewide by a large % vs 2000’s. 2) ehd has continued to hit every few to 5 years. 3) fill in the _______ for the other reasons

Im still ok with posting…. & even saying where it’s from!!!…. NR zone 10. In Lincoln County. 5 miles from the Casey’s gas station- straight NW of there. I don’t hunt there anymore but there’s several landowners who will give permission. & I know for a fact that this year- there’s 2 deer larger on those farms.

IMG_2172.jpeg

I think it’s fun. & I don’t give a crap. & a deer like this being there one time doesn’t mean there ever be another again. Same with most.
I think the bigger reason is the age structure has taken a hit in last 10…. 1) deer #’s are down statewide by a large % vs 2000’s. 2) ehd has continued to hit every few to 5 years. 3) fill in the _______ for the other reasons

Im still ok with posting…. & even saying where it’s from!!!…. NR zone 10. In Lincoln County. 5 miles from the Casey’s gas station- straight NW of there. I don’t hunt there anymore but there’s several landowners who will give permission. & I know for a fact that this year- there’s 2 deer larger on those farms.
I’m not a FB, twitter and that other stuff user so I don’t see the posts there. I know posting online can draw attention but when they dead they dead. As I’ve mentioned in other threads age structure and herd numbers make for lower numbers of mega giants. Thanks for posting those pics Skip!

I’m not a FB, twitter and that other stuff user so I don’t see the posts there. I know posting online can draw attention but when they dead they dead. As I’ve mentioned in other threads age structure and herd numbers make for lower numbers of mega giants. Thanks for posting those pics Skip!
Sure, dead is dead, but it's not the dead ones I'm trying to protect by not posting pics. It's the future ones that I may lose access to, due to me posting pics.

I joined in like 2000 or 2001, had the old single picture on the main page and had to click to enter. Stumbled on it doing research for a High School project and signed up. Name has changed when the site changed, but I know a lot of you folks from meeting at the Iowa Deer Classic years ago. I dont go to the classic anymore as I am focused on other things, but I am logged in here several times a day.
I remember all the old photos and stories- I think there are many reasons as stated above, however one reason you dont see "as" much posted, I think just everyone gets busier and busier with life.
I would post more, but I literally have nothing to post. My cameras have been very minimal the past 2 years. Several years ago I had a local group of guys follow me around and shoot any deer that I would post a picture of, so that was an eye opener (not from this site, the other dreaded Iowa site a few years back)... But I dont mind posting, I mean, if anyone wants to shoot a deer, have at it

1502564_967401996663997_8672460958591590024_n.jpg

I doubt big buck numbers are down, people just share less.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Trail cam pics can make it difficult to enjoy the current hunting season. I have nothing over 140” on private this year and nothing over 150” on public so it’s hard to bring myself to hunt for and shoot something that’s “small” compared to what I’ve seen in years passed. I’m planning to whack a few does, really hit the postseason scouting hard, and prioritize my postseason habitat work.

If I wasn’t running cameras I’d think there could possibly be a monster buck in every thicket. Ignorance is bliss.

Don’t rely on those cams. You never know. Next weekend the weather changes and the switch will flip. Some don’t like the rut but I do. Never know when a monster might go on walk about. To me hunting bucks is not knowing what sized head gear might emerge during November. I get the hit list thing, but I love the unknown. I can’t stand when a giant shows and the hunter says , “it’s Curly or it’s skyscraper”. Lol. I’d rather be surprised and say , Holy F—k. Look at that.

Last edited:

Dead is dead, that’s the truth. Few years ago I shot my big buck (176”), I was the only person to ever ask the landowner to deer hunt. Hunted the farm 3 years, as soon as I killed that buck 7 people asked her for permission to hunt that year. Not sure why people think that’s the spot they’ll kill a giant after it’s already dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom