Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The journey to myfirst deer

deadeye50yds

I have been meaning to share this for quite a while but I'm now just getting around to doing, I started bow hunting in 2009 after going out to my brothers muzzy stand that was over a hay field with a .22 to see if I could shoot some gophers, it was during the evening and I had two does come grazing in towards the stand and it got to about 20 yds so I thought how hard could it be to hunt deer with a bow ? So I went home and talked my dad into hunting with his old darton bow that had been in the back of his truck for 10 yrs and took it out hunting that fall, needless to say it was a pretty bad fail I had no idea what I was doing, the first time I went out I went back to my brothers stand and hung two bottles of doe urine on one of the steps going up the stand and I had a can call I used about every 15-20 minutes well I had gone out pretty late in the day (at the time I didn't know it) and about an hour into the stand I had three bucks come up down wind of me which was also to my back, and I also learned what it is like to try and look at the deer with a bow and all of the sudden have adrenaline pumping so bad i could hardly lift the bow, any the end result of that hunt was the deer ran off and I was hooked. All that year I hunted and several times I had shots and every time I missed, so the next year came around and I thought maybe the bow was a problem since I could only shoot to about 20yrds with it so I found someone that was selling a 10yr old mathews bow (my dads was like 20-25 yrs old) well that solved my being able to hit the target problem, got my newer bow in about July and practiced with it about every day until archery season I'd also got for my bday that year a range finder and a trail camera and that helped me with my inability to judge distance but that year while I had shots I ether rushed the shot or just missed for what ever reason, also that year I went to hunting the deer off of the ground because I found this forum and started reading about people that got injuries from falling out of stands and I'm already disabled so to me it wasn't worth the risk of falling out of a tree stand, anyway that is basically how the next year went to except during one of the days during the bow season I had a shot at a doe that was 40 yds away so I took the shot and heard a giant crack and the doe ran off I went to look around and found blood and half of my arrow so the next morning we went to track it but the blood ran out about 200 yds from where It got hit at and my friend who also bow hunted asked me where I was aiming at and I told him the shoulder and that is where I learned about shot placement. So after learning and learning and many times feeling like giving up I came to last year and thinking vary strongly that if I don't get a deer this year I'm not doing bow again, Id had many shots at deer but just missed and I could hit targets all day all the way out to 50 yds and really accurately but just couldn't hit deer. Well when I went out this year I though instead of shooting at every deer that gets in range I will just watch them and if I get a real good close shot I'll take it well I thing I found the most important key to hunting patience I found that once the deer came into the field I was at first they were always spooky but if I gave them 15 minutes or so they would calm down and I could move and they wouldn't spook, so on nov 20th of last year I had two bucks come out in dads harvested bean field to graze and I waited for probably half an hour or so and they sparred a couple of times and the smaller buck took off but the other buck kept grazing and he was feeding towards me so when he got to about 25 yds I drew back and let the arrow fly and I thought if you miss this one you might as well give up but the arrow went right where it was supposed to!!! It hit it and bounced off of something and hit the spine , all I that was going through my mind was thank you Lord !! Sorry the really long post I got carried away a bit lol

Last edited:
Great post. Learning new things every time I take to the field and I've been hunting for 13 years now. Very nice first harvest. Big plus its a good buck.

Way to keep going! The experience isn't just about the kill- its everything you had done leadin up. Nice work and enjoy the countdown til next season:)

Really well written story!

I bowhunt out of my enjoyment for the entire hunting process(scouting, practice, learning, etc.), but it's nice to drink from the fountain of success every now and then. Congrats!

Thanks guys!! I agree with you 100% about it being about the hunt and not the kill, but it is still nice to have deer steaks at the end of the year!

Last edited:
Top Bottom