Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

the latest?!

iatreehugger

PMA Member
Hey...I was just wondering what everyone was seeing right now. I had three mornings where it was just wild. Then yesterday there were a few deer moving. I still have lots of does with their fawns, so I know it is mostly just beginning around here. With the temps warming up during the day, the evenings have been mostly a slow drag. Just being nosey with what others are experiencing.

Only bucks I am seeing are trailing does, and don't care about any grunts, rattles, doe bleats or snort weezes. Seem to be on lock down. Have seen some lone does.

i was helping my dad move grain trucks tonight, and saw a TON of deer moving. i saw a bunch last night too. every buck was chasing/herding a doe

I have seen just opposite. The AMs have been SLOW! But the afternoons are great, deer still filling the fields and bucks galore checking or sticking to the does. I have been seeing 1 or 2 bucks in the mornings all month, but 3-8 bucks every evening.

Its been a terrible year for calling! Sun and Mon am called in 2 bucks. But not much else all year. Last year on nov 10 called in 10 bucks all 2.5 or older.

Last edited:
Hey...thanks for all the input...it's always good to hear what's going on. I also know that it is veryyyyy local. I saw a ton (15 different bucks Monday morning alone), and then called my neighbor who hunts less than 3/4 mile on the same river bottom, and he saw a total of one deer Monday, and he is in a very non-pressured area. I guess that's why we call it hunting, and enjoy every crazy minute of it.

I have hunted in Polk and Mahaska counties. In both counties I have seen bucks chasing and others seeking, but at the same time in both places I have seen does with their yearlings still.

was out this morning looking for a deer I shot and it seemed like every 5 minutes I would a grunt come from one direction or another. Saw two mature bucks and a brute of a 3yr old and a few small ones. All were either lock down with a doe or hard on the chase. The 3yr old was tending a doe and was some of the most intense deer vocalization I've ever heard. I also heard what I swear had to have been a buck roar but I know no one else was hunting in the area.

Saturday in our timber was very good...

deer moving all day and responding to calling too. Friday evening, the 13th, was decent too. My son rattled or called in 8 different bucks this morning though.

South Central Iowa....yesterday I sat all day from 530 to close and saw 12 does. Only one fawn in the morning sit then 11 more in the afternoon coming into a standing cornfield. I would say they were locked down where I was at. Only saw two mature does, the rest were lone yearlings....frustrating. The day before my son and I watched a big 8 I have been after. He was locked on a bedded doe for 4 hours 80 yds away. Wouldn't walk more than 5 yds from her.

Best night of hunting all year for me....Watched a decent buck breed a doe at fifty yards. Saw roughly 30 other deer...2 of them being shooters. Still can't seem to get them close enough, but it was an awesome show.

I hunted down in wayne co. from noon till dark saturday. I had deer running every where like field mice from noon til 2:00. From 2pm till last shooting light was slow. then picked up right at last light.

Seen several deer including a mature 150+ at 2pm.

not very responsive to calls but did have one 2 1/2 yr old come rushing into rattling.

Good luck everyone and be safe!

Top Bottom