Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Mickey Wildlife Refuge aka- doe sanctuary

sureshot

The Hunt Never Ends....
Disregard my last post on this issue.

I don't want to cause problems for the person who I asked the questions too. I also realize that just because someone says something that they aren't entirely true. I'm not saying he's not right, or that he didn't truthfully answer my questions, but there are more underlieing issues involved in this matter that meet the eye.

Mickey, can you give us some insight on the deer management you use on your leased farms here in Iowa? Now i'm not a doctor or anything like yourself, so maybe you can fill me in on the details behind your management strategy which you are currently implementing here in Iowa.

Come on.....Wizard of Orion.... I'm anxiously awaiting your answer to sureshot1's question. If you're going to come on here and post things to stir the pot then put your PhD to work and explain to the residents your plan to control does. If you can't do that then take your buddy "Umpa Wiedel" and the rest of the "Board of Directors" and go home and worry about the state you currently call home.

Sureshot1,

First, cute title... too bad it makes obvious the fact that you don't know me at all - I love killing deer, including does! All of our hunting club members can atest to this. In fact, I can't stand to sit on stand during shotgun season & NOT shoot a doe that is within range regardless of time of day & whether or not I have killed a buck.

Although you have no right to know my personal doe harvest in Iowa, I am happy to share because I am proud of the fact that I have likely killed more does over the last 11 years than 99% of folks on this site. The following is my exact doe harvest by year on our property in Iowa dating back to 1998. I have toothwear ages and field-dressed weights of many of these does as well...

1998 - 5 does
1999 - 2 does
2000 - 6 does
2001 - 3 does
2002 - 5 does
2003 - 6 does
2004 - 4 does
2005 - 8 does
2006 - 2 does
2007 - 8 does (5 from one stand at one sitting!)
2008 - 0 does (I drew a bow tag & could not party hunt)
11-year total - 49 does (average of 4.5 does/year)

How many does have you killed?

BTW, our group has harvested the following number of does each of the above years... 10, 8, 13, 12, 18, 33, 24, 25, 10, 38, & 25.

How many does has your group killed?

If you say so teeroy, but based on 10 consecutive years of intensive trail camera surveys to estimate deer density on our property, this harvest has resulted in a downward trend in the deer population.

How many does have you killed?

What is the deer population trend in your woods?

I've got no dog in this fight.

Yet I often believe the strongest and best people to have walked this planet are the ones from a couple or a few generations ago. I have to wonder, what kind of people were your grandparents Mickey...or their parents?? Would they be proud of your agenda?

I guess when I make a decision regarding myself and others I consider the impression on the people that matter most and in my case...unlike what appears here, that person is not "me".

So if I may ask, how did you come up with those tags? Party hunting, which is 100% legal, but if you take into consideration table one on page tweleve of the report NRs had a successs rate of (overall gun and bow) 39% that means you had a party of about 96 people the year you shot 38 does.

So why no doe this year with the bow? Lack of opprotunity?

The 'Bonker

Would you feel it to be the same severe injustice if the state in question was Michigan or Vermont or New York?

While I do in part sympathize to some degree due to the family ties and history with the state I just can't help but believe this in it's entirety is money driven.

How much interest does the King Ranch have in how this plays out?

I'm sorry to have posted earlier. This is just something that kind of tweaked my interest but not wholely in a good way as it seems that is quite common these days with some of the stuff I read online regarding the state of hunting..or shall I say the insanity of it.

Pretty easy to claim that many doe kills when they are gun kills and most of the tags aren't in your name.

Just a couple of facts for you. I killed 12 does last year all with bow. In the same 11 year period I've killed twice as many does as you and then some, guess what though they were almost all my tags since I haven't really gun hunted in quite some time. I do know our gun party killed on average 50 does a year on a 1500 acre piece in Madison County.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OrionWhitetails</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

We've averaged 25 per year the last 3 years, all archery.

I'll definitly play at this game. With the group 2 groups that I am involved with, this last year there were over 100 does killed either bow, ML, or shotgun, and yes, this is on way less than 5000 acres south of Afton on prime ground, way, way way less acres and prime ground.

What Mickey has failed to mention, is that groups other than his have killed HUNDREDS of does both on and immediately adjoining his property. You guys can take shots at his personal adjenda, or what you believe it to be, all day. But I promise you, the science being used in the management of the herd on that property, can't be argued with. After working with Mickey for almost 13 years, and being on the ground many times every year both in and out of season, I can assure you that it is anything but a doe sanctuary....

If posting this now makes me a target for everyones ridicule, then I guess I'll take the shots. But you guys need to fully understand what you are implying....and your implications come with nothing but heresay and rumors.

My disclaimer is that I'm in no way joining any arguement over tags and landowner laws, but I'm speaking to the management of this land, and the population of deer that it holds.

Ogz!! Kaare none of your comments where out of line. When a self centered alien pushes his selfish agenda over that of the residence of the land it is shameful.

I just can't understand why this Mickey character doesn't move to Iowa, since he's so infatuated with the state! He's like a hormone crazed teen on his first date -- if he came to my door for my daughter, he'd get a shotgun muzzle in his face! Man this burns me up, he's no better than USO and their bogus lawsuits in my opinion!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">severe injustice!</div></div>

Give me a break!!! Have you ever been outside the borders of our great country to see what real "severe injustice" looks like?! If not getting a precious buck tag every year is what you call injustice, then you need to grow up!

Top Bottom