Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Mickey Wildlife Refuge aka- doe sanctuary

Maybe he does manage his land in a good way. But, it is still a money driven agenda that is going to have a harsh impact on hunting in this state.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many does have you killed? </div></div>

Last year (the 2008-2009 season) I harvested 8 does with my bow, and one with my muzzleloader. That's just me, not including the other hunters (bow, shotgun, and muzzleloader) who hunt the same land that I do. All of this was on around 700 acres (not 5,000+).

You can argue all you want about your herd management strategies, and you're uncanny ability to tell your deer herd is at a healthy level judging by your trail camera photos, but in the end, you know just as well as the rest of us here on this site and throughout the country, that the only thing on your mind is pulling in some extra dollar bills at the expense of what REALLY is the best for this state.

Sugarcoat it all you want, but you won't fool any of us.

So if I understand you correctly- this ground (Mickey's) is properly managed and balanced with the current Iowa laws and regulations?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a money driven agenda that is going to have a harsh impact on hunting in this state. </div></div>

My thoughts exactly.

Mickey, I want to hear an answer to Skip's question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if I understand you correctly- Mickey's ground is properly managed and balanced with the current Iowa laws and regulations? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What Mickey has failed to mention, is that groups other than his have killed HUNDREDS of does both on and immediately adjoining his property. You guys can take shots at his personal adjenda, or what you believe it to be, all day. But I promise you, the science being used in the management of the herd on that property, can't be argued with. </div></div>

It sounds like the same science every other NR landowner is using. I will supply the refuge, the neighbors can deal with all the does. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the more ground I have the bigger bucks I can grow. Anyone can do it guarantee it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sligh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if I understand you correctly- this ground (Mickey's) is properly managed and balanced with the current Iowa laws and regulations?</div></div>

I hope to see a response to this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hillrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sligh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if I understand you correctly- this ground (Mickey's) is properly managed and balanced with the current Iowa laws and regulations?</div></div>

I hope to see a response to this.</div></div>

?????

Thanks for the answer.....with all the nice historical data. You've quit talking....so it's obvious to us you have realized your mistake and basically told the site that your deer herd is healthy and sound within the current rules and regulations of the state. I want to personally thank you for coming on here and kicking the hornets nests off the tree!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the answer..... </div></div>

Ive given up waiting for an answer also.Not that I expected one....

We have now basically been accused of doing something illegal, I don't see why we should answer. The arguement that started these posts has degraded to a point that answering no longer helps anything, it only prolongs the post. I said that I didn't want to be involved in the resident vs. non-resident arguement, but this question now implicates me, and I personally don't care for it. Everyone needs to go for one last shed hunt, then get the turkey gear ready and let these posts die.

Mark, I 'm not seeing a legal question here but Mick has stated he is doing a fine job managing his property under current regulations. The ability to manage is one of the arguements for his groups agenda. If you think we are going to step aside and open the door you have got to be kidding. Looks like he's had plenty of oppurtunity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1998 - 5 does
1999 - 2 does
2000 - 6 does
2001 - 3 does
2002 - 5 does
2003 - 6 does
2004 - 4 does
2005 - 8 does
2006 - 2 does
2007 - 8 does (5 from one stand at one sitting!)
2008 - 0 does (I drew a bow tag & could not party hunt)
11-year total - 49 does (average of 4.5 does/year)
</div></div>
I don't like hidden agendas, call me goofy.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">based on 10 consecutive years of intensive trail camera surveys to estimate deer density on our property, this harvest has resulted in a downward trend in the deer population. </div></div>
From_The_Friends_Of_Iowa_Home_Page.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, that certainly got me some pm's..... </div></div>

Me too. Maybe it was personal...but no less persoanl than the entire agenda against every resident of Iowa.

Ogz, nope, my question had nothing about legality in it (other than just acknowledging our obvious current regulations which I never said anything about someone violating them). My question is fair, respectful and SIMPLE. You and Mickey probably have a pretty SIMPLE ANSWER?

"So if I understand you correctly- this ground (Mickey's) is properly managed and balanced with the current Iowa laws and regulations?"

It is managed more intensively than any other piece of ground that I have ever been on in Iowa, and it's of course all done by the letter of the law. The local DNR agent comes out and works with us all the time. He's a really good guy and is very interested in the management plans that we try to follow. Travis, as I said before, I will not get into any agendas, res/nonres, blah blah..... I will speak to the management efforts and population efforts only.

Mark, I didn't see anyone questioning the legality of managing the property or properties. I don't I doubt it's managed better than most in Iowa. No problem with you or your involvement every one has a right.
My problem involves building an empire well knowing the laws and regulations. Then after everything is in place trying to sugar coat agendas and trying to change regulation and laws that will have irreversible damaging effects for the average Joe. This is the part I don't like I hope you can understand my concerns. In one hand complaining he can't manage his land then in the other telling us he has shot more does on his property than 99% of the great folks of this site, and there is a downward trend in the deer population on his property smells a little foul.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ogz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is managed more intensively than any other piece of ground that I have ever been on in Iowa, and it's of course all done by the letter of the law. The local DNR agent comes out and works with us all the time. He's a really good guy and is very interested in the management plans that we try to follow. Travis, as I said before, I will not get into any agendas, res/nonres, blah blah..... I will speak to the management efforts and population efforts only. </div></div>

So if I am reading this right you feel that your land is properly and intensely managed and have a very healthy herd. That tells me that you are doing just fine under our current laws and NR restrictions, so your argument about needing more NR licenses to control and manage your deer herd is not true!!! How could either of you fib to all of us and the IDNR saying that you can't manage your land properly with out more tags? The local DNR agent should attest to the same to his superiors in Des Moines and tell them that it is obvious that we don't need to change any of the NR regulations, because this property is a shining example of how to manage with in the strict letter of the current laws.

Top Bottom