Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Mickey Wildlife Refuge aka- doe sanctuary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The local DNR agent should attest to the same to his superiors in Des Moines and tell them that it is obvious that we don't need to change any of the NR regulations, because this property is a shining example of how to manage with in the strict letter of the current laws.
</div></div>

Can you say "Subpoena"...... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

Thanks for the support Ogz - your check is in the mail!

Seriously folks, I would like to take a step back to let you all know that I do not have a hidden agenda to make money off Iowa's deer herd.

I co-own land with my brother in Iowa, which had been my dream since childhood. Togeher, we are spending a small fortune of our own money to manage this land for whitetails. We have a hunting club with other members who contribute to the budget as well. And we try to offset costs as much as possible with cost share programs, CRP payments, rent on the tillable ground and occasional package hunts.

My uncle Bob is fond of saying that the deer herd on our land gets better treatment than our kids (only partially true!)
My brother, his family, and I are now closer than ever as a result of this. Because of this land and this common bond, we now share more time together than we did when I lived in Iowa!

I make every effort to invite our other relatives & friends whenever I am back in Iowa so that they can also share in our land. In fact, following the death of my father to cancer in January of 2007, we established a youth doe hunt as a tribute to him.

We conducted "Willie's First Annual Youth Doe Hunt" during January of 2008. We had 8 kids and their parents participate and they killed 6 does I believe (I will try to attach a picture). The 2nd annual hunt was 2 months ago when my cousin's daughter harvested her first deer (I will also try to attach this picture). During this same hunt, I had one of the best times on stand ever when I guided my nephew Tanner for a doe. He became sooo excited when a doe appeared! He didn't pull the trigger, but I'm sure he will now be an avid deer hunter for life!

For me, it is about the resource - Iowa's great deer herd, and my selfish passions for... spending time on my own land, spending time with family and friends, and hunting big whitetails. Is it wrong for me to want to have the ability to do this every year?

BTW, the personal attacks are fine. They don't hurt my feelings whatsoever and I even find some humor in most of them. But don't expect me to waste time responding because I don't have time to waste.

Mick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me, it is about the resource - Iowa's great deer herd, and my selfish passions for... spending time on my own land, spending time with family and friends, and hunting big whitetails. Is it wrong for me to want to have the ability to do this every year?

</div></div>
It sounds innocent enough, but imo it becomes wrong when you don't care how many people are negatively effected as long as you get what you want.

I get a chuckle once in a wile myself Mick!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point is that if we start to see deer as potential sources of income, instead of what they are now seen by most of the public... "road blocking maggots," & "rats." They will be managed better resulting in better deer & better deer hunting.

Mick </div></div>

So, you changed your mind? it's not about the money anymore?

Willie_s_1st_Doe_Hunt.jpg

hillrunner,

I fail to see how increasing opportunities for NRs will do anything but help Iowa's deer herd. Right now, we get less than 3% of available tags. If this is doubled to 6%, how is that so disastrous to others? I don't get the logic between linking more NR tags to a negative effect on many people?

Yada, Yada, Yada.

"I co-own land with my brother in Iowa, which had been my dream since childhood. Togeher, we are spending a small fortune of our own money to manage this land for whitetails. We have a hunting club with other members who contribute to the budget as well."

Six to one half a dozen to another. Pay to play mentality. I can't help but laugh Mickey when I hear you say "my dream". Your dream was to run your own hunt club in Iowa with members paying dues, or should I say contributing to the budget. Just a little insite from a true Iowa resident. We don't want hunt clubs and we don't want King Ranch size outfitters in Iowa. How about you change your name from OrionWhitetails to PimpnWhitetails because everyone knows your true motivations regardless of how you try to spin it. Sorry, but I have to ask. Was there a contribution required to participate in the "Willie's First Annual Youth Doe Hunt"? By the way I'm glad Iowa's current laws and regulations are allowing you/your hunt club to manage our wonderful resource appropriately.

Central Iowa,

First, thanks for everything you are doing to promote the QDMA.

It has never been about money. My quote, which you must have been saving for a long time, is in fererence to the fact that the vast majority of Iowans see deer in a negative way... they either eat their crops, eat their expensive ornamentals, or they step in their way on the highway. If we assign deer a value, they will be better managed as a result.

Mick

Well, for whatever its worth, you are saying that there needs to be more tags so you can manage your property better and hunt every year.

You've already stated that you have a great management program, and people are here to back you up.

You hunt it ever year, killing a buck and apparently killing an efficient amount of does.

Why are you so concerned with more tags then?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I fail to see how increasing opportunities for NR's will do anything but help Iowa's deer herd. Right now, we get less than 3% of available tags. If this is doubled to 6%, how is that so disastrous to others? I don't get the logic between linking more NR tags to a negative effect on many people?</div></div> If it's changed how many NR land owners will there be then? How many of those will be properly managed? How many of those guys that were hunting on farmer Joe's that is now out of state Bob's land will be trying to hunt the same farm down the road I hunt, or the same small public tract I hunt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me, it is about the resource - Iowa's great deer herd, and my selfish passions for... spending time on my own land, spending time with family and friends, and hunting big whitetails. Is it wrong for me to want to have the ability to do this every year?
</div></div>

apparently you ARE doing it every year. and from your own words, doing a good job at it. sounds like the regs as they are, are serving you prety well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If we assign deer a value, they will be better managed as a result. Mick </div></div>
what do you have in mind to obtain this?

Sorry I didn't come across as being very friendly. I guess 99% of the spin you put on this site doesn't come across to me as being very friendly to the residents of Iowa. You know, the same residents that actually own the resources you are trying to exploit. By the way you still haven't answered my question. Was there a contribution required to participate in the "Willie's First Annual Youth Doe Hunt"?

Mickey your tone seems much less agressive today. Something cause a change of heart? All anybody here wants to do is protect the future of Iowas resource for all.

Bowmaker, read my comments in this thread. I am in no way joinging any arguement for or against licenses. I speak only to the managment of the property that I have worked long and hard to help achieve. People have thrown us under the bus for being a doe harbor, which we are not, and that is the ONLY point that I am willing to discuss. I lived in Iowa for 29 years, moved due to work, and have every plan to move back when it is right for my family. I am staying away form the res/non-res issue.

Top Bottom