Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The monkey is finally gone

Full Quiver

When I decided to go after turkeys with a bow, I’d never imagine how hard the last couple of years would have been. To say they have been tough would be a vast understatement. This weekend finally changed all that and got that monkey off my back!

Friday night when I arrived at my hunting spot I had a couple of options that I wanted to check out before deciding where to sit the next morning. Driving by a corn field I saw a couple of gobblers and 4 hens out in the field, and decided this was gonna be the place for the morning. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

The next morning, after slopping through a lot of mud in the dark, found me sitting along the edge of a very wet corn field. I was surprised how much gobbling I heard the next morning, wasn’t sure with all the rain that had been hitting the area. I counted at least 7 different gobblers sounding off in areas around me. They pretty much shut up once they hit the ground though. Not a lot of action till a lone hen came out into the field about 7:30.

Around 9 some movement caught my eye across the corn field. Looking through the binos, about 400 yards away was a gobbler and his 3 lady friends. Didn’t figure he was going anywhere, but let out a few yelps anyways. As I was watching him through the binos, I caught the fan tips of another gobbler a lot closer. Couldn’t see anything more than his tips because of a small rise in the field, but figured he had a hen with him, because he wasn’t moving much. Did a little calling to him and slowly he started moving my way along the edge of the timber. He finally cleared the little crest and once following a hen. I called a little more and I don’t know if he saw Cousin Eddy (B-Mobile) or what but he came a runnin’! He stopped about 45 yards away, but the hen kept coming in. He came in full-strut, spittin’ and drummin’, to about 15 yards and I eventually shot him quartering away. He ran out into the field a little and then into the woods. I could tell that he couldn’t fly, so I decided to wait a little while for him to lie down. I could hear him flapping around in the brush, so I didn’t think he was going to far. Finally went out and found my arrow, hardly a drop of blood on it and just a couple of feathers. Had me a little worried. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Walked along the edge of the field and found him only about 5 yards inside the timber. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

Stats: 23lbs, 9 oz
10 ½” beard
1 ¼” spurs

web_1.JPG

web_3.JPG

Too say that my son was excited for daddy's turkey is probably an understatement! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

web_2.JPG

Way to go Matt! That is awesome. Great story...wish I could have been down there with you to see that. You da man! Congrats.

Congrats! That's a very impressive photo with the bird alone on the tree! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

congrats matt, way to put the preasure on me, haha. thats a great pic of you and your son....my season starts day after tommorrow, hope to have a good pic and story for you too....

hoofline.gif

Nice tom, great photo’s, Congrats! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? >>>>> Details Here!<<<<<

Great Pics! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

You won't want to pack a gun again! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Great job - something I would like to accomplish before I am done hunting. Super photos also to look back on in the years to come.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GOLD TIP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great job Matt! Very impressive! </div></div>

Well done, on the hunt and pics, congrats! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Great Pix and Great Story Matt!!!!!!
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom