Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The New Addiction

Seth

Over the past 3 years I've built up what I think now is a full blown whitetail addiction. 3 years ago it was an upgrade to the newer type speedy bows. Last year it was trail cameras and I got into filming. And this year, after much convincing and a little "I don't care what you think or say I'm still gonna do it, dammit" attitude I got my 1st food plot put in.

The small size is the reason I planted it now, so I can hunt over it before it gets too mowed down by the deer. Roughly 1/2 acre in size I planted the 7 different sample packets from Whitetail Institute. A combo of clover, chicory, and brassicas. Everything else around that I planted with Alice White Clover from Welters Seed and Honey Co.

This area used to be and still is a "junk ditch." Many farms have them. As of recently Gramps has been letting the neighbor (who owns an excavation co.) dump fill dirt and stone in there and every now and again he will push it in with the dozer. Unkowingly he created a sweet little area for a plot.

1st I sprayed with Roundup. Then I cleaned out every piece of junk I could find (the most time consuming.) Then I mowed down the dead weeds and raked them off the plot. Then I just drug around a harrow with the 'ol IH 706 to stir it up a bit, broadcast my seeds and rolled them in with my Toyota pickup's truck tires.

Well needless to say I pulled up some pretty interesting crap and one item gave this plot its name: "The Bathtub Plot" It was upside down and only a bit of the top was showing. A little hand digging got the job done. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

71308_002.jpg

Well I planted this weekend in anticipation of the forecasted rain for last night and all today. So I sowed my seeds and hoped for the best. Morning came and no rain. So I wented to church and prayed for rain this morning. This afternoon came and no rain. So I did the only fool proof method I know of for making it rain: I started mowing the lawn.

Well wouldn't you know it halfway through the mowing and the heavens opened up with a pleasant little Iowa thundershower. I can't wait to check it out later this week to see if anything pops up. I'll keep you updated with pics!!!! Here it is after I got it sowed and rolled:

71308_001.jpg

Seth,

Ya gotta prop that tub up against a post so that you can stand inside of it as a "blind". How cool would it be to harvest a deer out of a bathtub? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Good luck with the plots.

You should have a real sweet little spot /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Did you mix all the sample packets, or seperate or what?

Dean

I kept them all separate. I flagged off 10'x20' sections and planted each within. When I was done I taped the packet to one of the flags and stuck it in the middle of its respective spot. You can kinda see the flags in the picture. So I got a little side by side comparison going on. I did so becaue in the future I'll probably just go with the Alice but might want to mix it up with some of the Whitetail Insitute stuff. We'll see how it goes though.

Looks excellent! I know the addiction well, next year you'll have a couple more plots just like it and it only gets worse from there.

Suggestion... Bury that tub up to the rim and plug the drain. You'll have a great little watering hole to go with the plot. I'd drop a chunk of 4x4 in it to give the coon and critters a way out when they fall in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I flagged off 10'x20' sections and planted each within. </div></div>

Sweet!! Looking forward to pics of the sample plots!

Great job on everything but we gonna do with that tub??? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

That's a good idea, but there is plenty of water within 50 yards of this plot and with all the digging it took to get it out I don't really want to dig more to put it back in. I was actually thinking of filling the tub with dirt and planting some nice flowers to sorta make the plot more appealing. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Looks great Seth.......hard to believe what a little hard work will do. Can't wait to see it come up. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I look at a square 20 yard area of Brome and think for hours on how fast and what I can get planted there- NSWG, trees, plots, etc. It's bad!
I am so ADDICTED, I didn't even make it out fishing ONCE this year, I am after deer (you know what I mean) year round! Sheds, plots, stands, scouting, trailcams, getting more ground AND even the indirect addiction of working harder at my job to make more $ to buy ground, not to mention all the time I spend thinking about it. Yes, I am in need of re-hab if there was such a thing! (Glad I found this addiction in contrast to others!)

looks awesome bartstar!.. u should put up a couple of them round tomato fence things, except with chicken wire so deer cant get to it.. then u will be able to compare how well it is really growing in comparison to what the deer are actually eating.

looks great Seth! i see some great looking treestand potentials there!!!

and yes, a harvest photo with the tub included is a great idea!!!!

You should get a little "heart surgery" done over that plot! Maybe a little aortic-valve carbon-shaft angioplasty. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Hard work is paying off, congrats on your new addiction! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was actually thinking of filling the tub with dirt and planting some nice flowers to sorta make the plot more appealing. </div></div>

6 Uses for Your Old Bathtub /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Of course if you have two bathtubs /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

for some reason my wife wants only one...I'm not sure it that's good or bad... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Been meaning to get an update pic posted. The clover has popped up. It is thicker in some areas than others. I might have to hit it with some sort of fertilizer in the weaker areas. The stuff I'm really impressed with is the Whitetail Institute No Plow Mix. Stuff is really doing well. It has taken off quite a bit faster than everything else.

I have a trail cam on the plot to monitor deer movement and there has been little to none. Thankfully there is a nice bean field next to it that I've seen them munching on every night. Hopefully it comes in nice and full by October. Time will tell!

Top Bottom