Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The New Bass Pro; Altoona IA

Hardcorehunter

UL Shelter/Stove Geek
http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/HCHHARDCOREHUNTER/?action=view&current=d77e852b.pbw

My girlfriend and I went to the grand opening weekend of Bass Pro yesterday in Altoona, IA. This is the most extravagant sporting goods store I have seen to date. The animals are all above you on what looks like real dirt, there is a bowling alley, simulated NASCAR driving section, simulated hunting videos, arcade shooting, a full size animated talking moose head, they had the Busch semi with the big boy mounts in it, a fudge section that had the best fudge I have ever had, restaurant,(overpriced),bar, every imaginable deer decoy, broadheads, targets, indoor range. The place was packed and you wouldn't know there was a recession. Ran into some friends and had a great time. We didn't even go into the boat and fishing section and it is as big as what you see here. Cabelas has some catching up to do.

Good pics, you saw far more of the store than i did. I didnt stay long it was so dang busy literally if you stopped to look at something you were gettin ran over, I even got nailed by some obese dude on the electric scooter. I will go back again for sure I simply went and got what i needed and bailed. I did however make it into the king of bucks trailer and that was awesome as well. The guy running the trailer said they were all orginal racks which was cool but who knows for sure they looked amazing. Once again great pics

Lol..glad you survived the scooter horror...my garage already looks like a bow hunting store and I told my girlfriend that it is nice to not need anything as I have it all already. I do have to get a game cart though and they have a big one that I will get later when it is not so crowded. We are doing a city deer hunt this september and we are required to remove the deer from the area, have it covered out of the eyesight of nonhunters treehuggers, and take to another area to gut. So, it is time for a deer cart.

Maybe I am crazy,,but I think it is a little ironic, that a Sporting Goods store, promoting the,"Great Outdoors", is built on the outdoors, on what was possibly some wildlife habitat, or at least some valuable farmland. The whole area is going down to developement, I think another Mall,,which we really need,,and who know what else. I will never step through the doors. but then,,like I said, I know I am a bit odd.

Don't know if you tried out the rocker/recliner chairs they had, but I went with my nephew on Saturday and bought one in the Advantage camo pattern. My wife actually suggested it ( I married a great one ! ). I had some gift cards and discount coupons, plus it was on sale for a good price. It now resides in my man cave, and has seen good use. I do like the store, and will make occasional visits. Kind of glad it's on the east side of Des Mones, as I live west of town and that will keep me from dropping in too often and spending too much.

Maybe I am crazy,,but I think it is a little ironic, that a Sporting Goods store, promoting the,"Great Outdoors", is built on the outdoors, on what was possibly some wildlife habitat, or at least some valuable farmland. The whole area is going down to developement, I think another Mall,,which we really need,,and who know what else. I will never step through the doors. but then,,like I said, I know I am a bit odd.

I live in Altoona. The land that Bass Pro sits on was farmland, but contained very little wildlife. It was already developed all around it, being bordered on three sides by major roads, including interstate. It's a great boost to our local economy and provided lots of jobs. I'm sure the house you live in was built on the great outdoors as well... Unfortunately, this trend will never cease...

On another note, being as I live so close, I will wait until there is a place to park before I step foot in the store. Looks great though!

Top Bottom