Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Old Gun Scores!!!!

Shovelbuck

Not a deer but a juicy fall turkey.
I wish everyone could experience the feeling that came over me when I shot this bearded hen this evening. It wasn't the hunt itself but the thoughts that rushed through my mind as I watched the bird breath it's last.
How many years had it been since this shotgun put meat on the table? 100 years? Nobody will ever know. When this gun was built, right before the Civil War, our forefathers literally hunted to survive. It was a necessity. I sat there and silently thanked the previous owners for taking such great care of the gun that allowed me to feed my family.
I wish I knew the history behind the gun but unfortunately that has been lost to time. I hope I can make plenty of my own with it in years to come.

Fall_bird_A.JPG

Congratulations on your special harvest! It's a time like this I bet you wish that gun could talk. I bet it could tell some stories! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Very nice!

Now you just have to roast that bird over some hardwood coals. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moosehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Dreaming of the wild, wild, west.......... </div></div>

Dreaming???? I thought he was livin' it! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Ok, the hunt.................................
Got to my spot around 5:30 and set up about 20 yards from a natural funnel that the birds use as they head towards the roost tree. I had been hard pressed as what to do this evening. The wind was perfect for bow hunting and trail cam photos have shown several shooter bucks in the area.
About 6:15 a dandy buck was about 30 yards from me and feeding my direction. I was starting to wish I had the bow instead of the shotgun. Next thing I know the turkeys arrive and are side by side with the buck. He finally turns and heads the other way about the time the lead hen was 15 yards from me.
One shot and it was over. The buck stood and looked around for a bit then trotted off the way he came. He wasn't spooked too bad and I'll be back after him when things calm down a bit in the area.

Shovel, I really enjoy the perspective you have on hunting. The methods you use, and the insight you give are fun to read about. Thanks for sharing great photos and even better stories.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Shovel, I really enjoy the perspective you have on hunting. The methods you use, and the insight you give are fun to read about. Thanks for sharing great photos and even better stories. </div></div>

couldn't agree more

hoofline.gif

I can only imagine the feeling that you describe Jay. Nice photo and certainly a great hunt. Congrats! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

11.jpg

Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.

Nice Jay! I always love your photo layouts. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom