Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

the picture is up...scored my best buck ever!

muddy

after an uneventfull morning i decided that i'd call the landowner and see if he'd let me hunt his other farm. 10 minutes after leaving a message he calls back and tells me to get my a$$ into a certain draw where he'd been seeing a dandy buck everytime he 4-wheelers down into the field. anywhoo, i just bought an API climber and had yet to use it. i get all cleaned up and head out. the place is a isolated draw of super brushy timber in between 2 half picked cornfields, the last fields within 2 miles.
smile.gif
after awhile i get all set up and ready to hunt. the first 3 hours went by pretty quick as i had me a book, suddenly i looked up and 80 yards away i see a rack and then he beds up again. he stands up a few more times and then i don't see him anymore. a half hour later i see some baldies (does) go into the corn and then look over my shoulder and one of my all time nemesis is standing 40 yards away...a big black ditch tiger. i suddenly have visions of skewering a cat, especially when he goes under me at 8 yards. as i'm getting ready to draw i remember the deer bedded and elected to pass on the "tiger". the kitty sneaks up and beds up in a grassy draw 50 yards away from me, little did i know that that little cat would save my entire hunt. a little while later the does work back out of the field and start heading to an almost dried up pond, as they get closer they look to the side and there he is, 80 yards away and coming in. he would stop every few yards and fatten himself up on some corn off the stalks. he gets to a grassy waterway (where the cat is bedded) and starts to work up into the corn! dammit!!! i grunt at him and he turns but turns back quick, just then the cat wakes up and starts slinking away from the buck and the corn, the buck sees the cat and actually chases it for awile!! he chsed the cat out of the corn and out into the cut area. he then follows the does who have now worked by me. he gets to 18 yards and i pull back and grunt softly, he turns right at me and starts feeding! all i have is the back of his neck to shoot at. about 20 seconds go by and he continues on, i grunt again and the same thing happens! i honestly don't know how long i held the bow but my arm was jerking forward and my bow arm was shaking and tingling! he finally works away and i get him to stop, after a moment to breath out calmly i let him have it. took him in the 4th rib from the back on the left side and the arrow passed thru and out the lower right shoulder! yeah!! he ran off and with the wind i don't hear anything. i'm elated since i've never had great luck bowhunting. i go home and grab the "posse" and we head out. not much blood and i am really worried, all of a sudden after 60 yards it's like someone turned on a faucet, we looked up and there he is! sweet! he went about 80 yards total in a circle and died right behind me about 50 yards over the little rise. i was psyched as it's my best buck with the bow, about 16 1/2 spread, 10 points, decent mass, dressed at 165, probably score around 120-125 or so. not a monster but it was just neat how everything came together on the maiden voyage of my climber! we drove up and showed the farmer and we found out that another 135 inch buck had been taken by another guy on his ground on tuesday. both hunts (mine and his) were our first hunts in the new area. that farmer knows his ground!!

the only problem is that i owe him supper and i am now helping him make hay next summer for "payment"
smile.gif
maybe some deer steak will change his mind!!

anyway, sorry this is so long but i'm just super excited, i'm thinking of going back tomorrow for a crack at the B&C ditch tiger!!

quick run down of equip
PSE Quantum bow
Gold Tip XT arrows
the best broadheads in the world: Muzzy
API grand slam superstar climber
Supprescent suit
uhh, if you want to count my book that'd be about it.
wink.gif

good luck to the rest of you.

congrat's muddy. have fun with your new summer job. small price to pay for a great place to hunt.
beerchug.gif
congrat's again

Good story. Congrats on a fine buck. You are getting me all hyped up for my trip. Will be out there Nov. 2-10. With the new higher NR fee I will be there to get my money's worth!

great job,I cant wait.been hunting hard here and have just seen two small bucks.will be in loess hill area around nov.15,after kansas.

Good one, congratulations!!
smile.gif
That was smart not to shoot the cat! Better go get an antlerless tag now to keep hunting.

Speaking of cats... I was helping a buddy several years ago and let him sit my best stand while I tried to photograph the episode from a nearby tree. ( I had filled my tag already.) It was a perfect early November morning, the fog was lifting and you just knew this was going to be a grand day. Well, my impatient friend let one fly at a mangy feline and as a result, he re-figured his yardages after the miss. ( I had advised him well, but in the fog and the missed cat adventure, he got confused went to thinking too much.)

Not 20 minutes later a doe came into view that was obviously being harried, perfect. Right behind her comes a darn nice 10 point following her right down the trail and he stops right at the arrow from the cat earlier. I wait for the shot, I wait and I wait some more. Finally, the shot was taken and he missed it 3 ffet low!!! To this day he blames the cat, I say he gagged. Oh well.

Good going on your buck!

Muddy.jpg

it worked!

SAWEEEET!! Totally immortalized!
beerchug.gif

can't see the 10th point though, oh well!! i have 2 more pics that i need to post, one of last years bowkill and one of last years late muzzleloader, maybe i can con TLH into putting them in here for me! <wink wink nudge nudge>

Muddy,
I'm dying to see your buck!!!!!!!! What is all of that url $hit. Looking forward to seeing the big boy.

........5 min later I see..................

Awesome buck man! Congrats.

BT

WOW thanks to the ditch tiger you scored big on that deer, nice job!

Top Bottom