Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The reason why trail cameras spook deer

drummin_log

Check out the latest episode of Reality Deer Management and see the results of an experiment we did as to why trail cameras spook deer. It might surprise some of you. It was cool to see how the deer reacted to different methods of placing the camera.

http://youtu.be/XVQUSR5BdIk

That's great & worth watching. Really gives some solid solutions a lot of folks might not have thought of.

I had occasionally put cameras higher up a tree to cut down on false pictures. For instance near a field edge with standing crops. Point it down to cover the edge really cut down on false pictures. You have to get the angle right to cover the trail. After this, we know to always set them higher!

It also really helps to know your camera on my cams my sensor and lens is on the top of the unit so i always set them a little lower and sometimes even angle them down and i hardly ever get false pics, on my last set i had 33 pics from 1 weeks and 31 were deer and 2 were a hawk, i also spray my cams with scent away

Nice video, last time I set mine to video they filled the card in about 14 days. I think I will change some settings and try again.

I have one place that i actually have my camera on the ground pointing up towards a scrape (its on an incline). The only animals that spook are coons and coyotes. The does don't even catch on to it.

All That shows is that there was a negative response to a camera taking a video. How about the flash or IR in a photo which is just for an instant rather than for a period of time? How much more sound does tha camera make when it is in video mode?

He makes the assumption that the deer act the same way when the camera is in photo mode and video mode which he has no evidence for. Seems to me this video creates more questions than answers.

I don't think the camera mode matters, since the deer responded to a dead camera the same way as a live camera. This is some pretty good info IMO. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom