Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Release buck

nacho2770

I am posting this because it is a good but sad story...

This year I moved to the town were I work ( I was driving 50 miles a day).

I have a friend who works with me that has land close to here.. I have helped him hang stands and what not, but I have never hunted with him..

Well, since I am now close enough he told me I can come and hunt anytime..

Well last Tueday at work, he said we should leave a little early and hit the stand... It didn't take much to convince me to go...

Now I purchased a doe tag for this unit just so I could shoot a deer up here... I fully expected to fill my buck tag on my own land in my hometown..

So we each go to two different stands and get setup..

He had been getting pics of a really nice ten and eight pointer were he was going to sit, but he had only put a cam were I was going to sit on Sunday, so we had no idea what was there.. But he told me that there are big bucks in there every year and he actually shot his buck last year in there on his first sit..

So well this was our first sit for both of us up there...

Just to cover the whole story, he saw both of those big bucks, but both of them did somthing he has never seen and winded him... about 30 minutes apart they winded him and he was about ready to throw his bow out of the tree...

I saw about 30 deer that night....all does and fawns...I couldn't believe all the does and fawns in one place...

Well about an hour after I had gotten to the stand I dropped my thumb release that I started using this year... There were deer moving so I didn't dare climb down to get it.. I told my wife I should have a spare, but she thought it was unneccessary! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Well, I had a caliper release with me, but I hadn't shot it in over a year and the peep sight was much higher since I anchor a lot lower with the thumb release... So I tried to draw the bow with it, but it was almost impossible to find any sort of solid anchor and still be able to see through the peep..

I didn't figure I would see a buck, so I didn't worry about it too much..

So there are 30 does and fawns everywere and then I see this big deer coming from the north. I see it is a good buck, but I can't tell how big until he is about 40 yards and I see the great g2's.. So I draw my bow and try to get an anchor...he is at 25 yards and I am trying my damnest to anchor on something, but it isn't working very well.. I finally get sort of steady and go to pull the trigger and feel myself pull down forcing the arrow high.. He ducked the shot some, but I watched in horror as it just missed him over his back.. I knew he would come back because none of the deer knew what had happened..

I grabbed another arrow and got ready cursing my release on the ground the whole time...

He did come back in about 20 minutes later with a doe... I drew back....he is at 25 yards again....but it is too dark to shoot so I had to let down.

I was not too happy, but I was dying to see the trail camera pics, because I knew he was on there.. My friend pulled the card on saturday and we checked the pics...he gave me a hard time for missing the buck after seeing the pics...

Needless to say, I ordered a backup release the very next day...........

I sure hope one of us gets another crack at him in the near future..

Here are the pics....

(yes that is a bait pile in front of the camera....baiting is legal in ND and my friend likes to use it...I don't like baiting, so I don't use it, but they are his stands, so I have no choice but to hunt over it..

CDY_00491.jpg

CDY_00511.jpg

CDY_03081.jpg

CDY_03131.jpg

That hurts.....

I can't believe you can legally sit over a pile of corn like that.....ND is a little odd with a few of it's regs...

hahaha

not laughing at you, but laughing with you....

ah, who am i kidding!

YOU SUCK!

hahaha

just kidding

how many times have you dreamed of that hunt since then?

Good Luck Josh, hope to see him with a hole in his side!

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot2Kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That hurts.....

I can't believe you can legally sit over a pile of corn like that.....ND is a little odd with a few of it's regs... </div></div>

Actually it is Durum screenings not corn....

I told my friend that he doesn't have to bait to have good hunting in there...

There is an apple tree about 30 yards off to the right of the camera and most of the deer spent more time over there then on this bait pile...

People might be surprised how many states allow baiting for deer. It's not as big of an advantage for larger bucks as you may think.

Anyway I have a similar story with a release (mine broke) and I now carry a spare all the time. I feel your pain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowa1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People might be surprised how many states allow baiting for deer. It's not as big of an advantage for larger bucks as you may think.

</div></div>

That is the truth. I've hunted KY many years with a feeder in the field, and it does not give you an edge for a mature deer. Now if you want to kill yearlings and 1 1/2 old bucks, its a death trap for them. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I didn't say that it was a big advantage to hunt over a bait pile, I just think it's odd that you can legally do it in some states when others send out DNR helicopters/planes to bust people for it.

The other ND reg I was referring to is the one where it's legal to have your uncased gun in the front seat of your truck with a magazine full of shells..that's the one I can't get used to when I hunt up there for pheasants. I feel like the warden is going to pop out and get me at any minute!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot2Kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The other ND reg I was referring to is the one where it's legal to have your uncased gun in the front seat of your truck with a magazine full of shells..that's the one I can't get used to when I hunt up there for pheasants. I feel like the warden is going to pop out and get me at any minute!
</div></div>

Don't quote me on this but i belive it's also legal to have a loaded, uncased firearm in your truck int MT.

I think you can also have an open container in MT as long as your not drunk or in city limits.

yeah, I wish they would change the rule on having a loaded gun in the front seat..

I wouldn't loose any sleep if they made you carry it in your vehicle unloaded in a case...

Sure would cut down on the road hunters...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nacho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure would cut down on the road hunters... </div></div>

and bullets in transmissions....
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nacho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure would cut down on the road hunters... </div></div>

and bullets in transmissions....
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

And guys shooting pheasants out of a moving vehicle..... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom