Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The story of houdini!!

andesman

The story of HOUDINIi goes like this. I moved to Iowa in 2008. My family wanted to leave the fast pace of life on the east coast. My life as a child farming and hunting and fishing had changed drastically as farms and fields became houses. Upon the arrival of my two sons I began to think that the midwest would be a better place to bring them up.

In 2008 we sold our home and small business and bought a home and small business in southern Iowa. We have made many new friends. Last year my son Tyler who was 9 got his first turkey and a doe in youth season.

In the begining I scouted out several public lands and hunted on some land owned by friends and customers. The first two years here I lost two of the best bucks of my life. Rained washed away blood in both cases. But I was enjoying such things as bobcats, coyotes, turkeys and many near misses with good bucks. Now we have over 10 farms we can hunt on and have learned some public land very well. We took several does one 2.5yr old by mistake and now have hitlist of 5-10 bucks every year. In 2011 I missed my #1 hitlist buck a booner on Nov 11 but took a 137" 8 pt on the 14th.

This year with son wanting a buck, I focused on getting him one. On Sept 17th we sit up a blind on public land and saw over 20 bucks! Tyler passed on 4 3 yr old at about 100 yrds. On tues we went back. Then two giant stepped out 2 hrs before dark. Tyler MISSED HOUDINI at 55 yards. And could not see the other bucks because of the sun in the scope! We went back on thursday sept 21 and HOUDINI ran passed his shooting lane NO SHOT!!! The next buck did not get by Ty made a great shot!

7788-20120919180705_4.jpg

7788-tyler_youthseason_2012_original.jpg

That was one of my most proudest moments of my life. Then on Oct first its my turn after those two giants..

On Mon I saw Houdini again and had another mature buck at 40 yards. No shots. On thursday I switched trees with my Summit Climber (open shot) and played the wind.. HOUDINI gave a me a 30 yards shot and I hit a tree trying to avoid a gut shot as his neck and shoulder were covered by the tree. At that point we thought "how can HOUDINI be so dumb but so fortunate" On fri Oct 5 I tweaked the stand location by 15 yards but he chose another trail just out of range!! I was ready to QUIT! But a friends says "if you know where a big one is go and get him" My son says " Houdini escaped but finally died trying to escape" So I gave it one more chance on Saturday PM and climbed another tree with a very questionable wind, at 4:50pm I decided to climb down and keep them from winding me and still get a shot on the 3-4 trails he uses. At 5:50pm with my son in a tree 40 yards away camera in hand, HOUDINI appeared directly downwind heading to the beans as he had did for 6 NIGHTS!!!! Neither him or the 3 smaller bucks smelled me. As he passed to my left and slowly passed at 11 yards I drew back, focused on the beans he had no idea I was 18 feet up on a very flimsy tree. In 45 min Tyler came over and as I am color blind he saw the blood soaked arrow and said "YOU SMOKED HIM DAD!"

Tyler is a blood hound and though there was little blood the first 100 yards we found him in less than 40 minutes he went 200 yards. This all took place right where he got his 1st 10 pt 2 weeks earlier.

LESSONS LEARNED: never give up, my son was bummed at missing HOUDINI but proud of the 120" 10 pt. He did not give up. After HOUDINI juked us 5 times I did not give up.. Also be flexible: We have 10 permenant stands on other farms, but not only did we scout that public land but used our summit climbers to zero in on him! Also Work hard as possible on scent control seeing a 10 year old strip down because I wont let him where his hunting clothes in the truck sounds cruel.. I wear double scent-loks and rubber boots, chew used doublemint gum and use Scent-killer spray I know anything less and those 4 bucks would have smelled me sat pm. And keep learning, Im 48 try to take something away from every hunt or video I watch. Bill Wenke says "hunt at the top of ditches where the meet the feild" That is exactly how I took HOUDINI!!!! Also if your wife lets you live out your dreams like mine does, be thankful. Better yet marry the right one like I did!

We have no plans to leave our new home here in Iowa. My son will try to arrow one of our hitlist bucks come late oct! Some are bigger than HOUDINI! Ill be right there helping him! Been an awesome season so far!

Just put tape on him.. 167" gross Non typical / 158 net (not official)

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom