Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Truth - Potential World Record

G

Tony Lovstuen's recent harvest of the potential world record NT by hunter has sent quite a shock wave through the whitetail community. A whitetail of this magnitude of course is going to create allot of attention and with the attention - myths and rumors are bound to follow.

I've recently had a chance to spend some time with the family and the enormous rack (including sheds found in the spring of 2002). Before I go any further I would like to again congratulate Tony for harvesting this exceptional whitetail. I would also like to give allot credit to Doug as well - he has handled the harvest and publicity extremely well. His positive attitude and down to earth nature amidst of the hysteria is incredible.

During our special visit not only was I allowed to handle the rack (12 lbs) but also clarify first hand the rumors that are beginning to surface . . . before these rumors tarnish a fair and ethical hunt. I think it's best the TRUTH come out . . .

THE TRUTH

Yes - a potential world record NT scoring 322 4/8" (unofficial green score) was harvested by a youth hunter (Tony Luvstuen age 15) on Sept 29 and recovered on Sept 30 using a muzzleloader.

No - the carcass was not confiscated by the DNR nor were there any traces any other bullet holes except for the fatal shot made by Tony.

"Why aren't Pictures being release?"
North American Whitetail has an exclusive contract with the family to publish the pictures and story first. Pictures will not be released until the January Edition of North American Whitetail - after the release they will be made available.

No - Cabela's did not offer $500K, $1Million or $2Million for exclusive rights. If you or somebody wants to pay this kind of money the family would like to talk
grin.gif

No - a "bait pile" was not involved in the harvest of this buck. Conservation officers gave thumbs up after examining the scene (per the family request).

Although it's hard to age this buck Doug believes the animal to be between 8-10 years old.

No -this picture is not the buck from Albia Iowa

"I thought the buck was going down hill"
All pictures released of this buck are from the 2000 sheds and from live trail cam and video footage in 2001. The pictures taken of the buck over the bait pile are from 2001 - Please read for details Albia History for more detail on this great buck.

I hope this clarifies some of the misconceptions out there and remember we have an open phone line to the direct source - so please question yours.

Thanks,

Iowawhitetail Staff

Great!! I am glad for him and all hunters in general that everything checks out to be 100% legal. I just hope after taking such a buck he can return to the timber many times and be able to feel as good as the day he got the ALBIA BUCK.

Thanks for the info
waytogo.gif

Isn't it a shame in our society that when someone does something special and rare, other people feel the need to discredit and cast suspicion? I don't understand why anyone would want to do anything but congratulate this young man, but yet you hear rumors of baiting and highpower rifles being used, it's sickening!
Glad you set the record straight!

Thanks to this site and the facts we already heard, we already knew most of the truth and now we have more ammo in hand to go out and help to dispell the rumors. With a deer like this, I am sure we will hear plenty of rumors and crap before it is all done and over with. Thanks!

I hope they get a big spot at the Deer Classic. Talking to the hunters that have taken such great animals has always been enjoyable to me.

i only want to know one thing Iowawhitetail !!!!!..................................................if you knew you were going there to talk to the family and see the rack...............................................WHY THE HECK DIDN'T YA ASK ME TO COME ALONG..
cussing.gif
cussing.gif
cussing.gif
wtf.gif
wtf.gif
wtf.gif
cursing[1].gif
cursing[1].gif
cursing[1].gif
jester.gif
jester.gif
busted.gif
busted.gif
busted.gif

Thanks for the Info IowaWhiteTail. Muddy, It was a Knight in-line muzzleloader. Not sure of which caliber or what model.

893USA1-thumb[1].gif

Hats of to TLH and the rest of the iowawhitetail.com crew for the way that you have dealt with this story.

It is always a shame when a great whitetail is taken and then the rumours start flying. Look at the Zaft Buck fiasco of the last couple of years. That was an example of what NOT to do.

Please give my regards to Tony and his family for handling this in an appropriate manner. And also, congrats on such a tremendous whitetail.

Awesome Deer, Great Family, Unbelievable Story .

I hope this deer becomes the next world record. I wish you all luck in seeing in the wild a buck of this caliber and God willing harvesting it. This state is full of huge deer. They will only continue to get bigger with proper management (Let the little ones grow , shoot does) .

I would like to thank Lovstuen family and friends for sharing such a great deer and story with the public and fueling the hearts and minds of hunters with dreams of what can be and may (will) be.

Good luck to all

I was with Onecam while he was drooling over the rack. In fact it was the fourth time I've seen the rack and sheds and talked with the Lovstuens. Onecam is right on, the Lovstuens are very nice, down to earth people - just the kind of folks you'd like to see take the potential world record. The story behind this buck is fascinating. You are going to love hearing it.

Another point I'd like to make at this time is that no matter how many times you see the rack it is still a 'grinner'. You just can't help grinning when you look at it. The mass is incredible. It has loads of character. You are going to love it.

One of the down sides of the rack, if there is such a thing, is that it has so much neat stuff going on that it is a challenge to figure out what angle to show it in a painting to capture as much character as possible. Nice problem to have.

Congratulations again to Tony and his dad, Doug!

To everyone else keep dreaming and good hunting!

Old Buck
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

a couple thoughts.....
thanks to onecam and old buck for proving the haters wrong before these rumors got out of hand.

really glad to see that everything appears to be legit with this buck, and am looking forward to buying the january north american hunter...this will be the 2nd issue of that magazine i will have ever bought.....the first was when this buck was first brought to light

and finally...A KNIGHT!!!A KNIGHT!!!!!i knew it. the greatest buck in the world, taken with the greatest gun in the world, both born and bred in the greatest state in the world!!!!!
peace.gif
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

It is good to get the air cleared a bit. Thanks for taking the time.

I wonder if the young man cares as much about all the hype as the adults?

I say congratulations to Tony, and the most important thing here is he was hunting with his father.
waytogo.gif

This is something I would just as soon not have happen to me. I like being a nobody, that has a blast just hunting every season.

Best wishes and safe hunting to everyone, you're not going to get the next one hanging out here
grin.gif

Wonder what the "official name" of this buck will be? "Lovstuen Buck?", "Albia Buck?", "Oh My Gawd Buck?", perhaps some other creative title. Guess the rightful owner can call it anything he wants.

it already has its name..its been the albia buck for years. that is what it has been called on countless message boards already

ya, my guess is that everyone will still know it as the albia buck.

Very nice post. Its really a shame that people in this world are more interested in spreading hearsay and rumors than they are about the truth.

In this day and age, if you don't do everything "exactly right", your torn down by the court of public opinion if you get a nice buck. Glad to see one going the right way for once. Of course, sounds like they did it in an honorable fashion, so that helps quite a bit.

Thanks for the info. As a long time Albia resident and avid bowhunter who now resides in the UP of Michigan I am very excited about the deer harvest, but have heard so many stories and viewed the one pictured as it circulated throughout Mighigan, I am please to get the facts and will rely on your site for further information.

Top Bottom