Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The worst turkey caller in America

kam582

I have got to be the worst turkey caller ever. I couldn't make it out opening day cause my truck broke down Sunday. Went out Tuesday morning and had 3 or 4 toms gobbling on the roost. They mostly quit when they flew down, but I had one on the hook. Unfortunately, he was behind me and across the creek on the back side of the blind. I talked to that turkey for TWO HOURS, and could not get him across the creek. I called infrequently, frequently, aggressive, non aggressive, soft, loud, you name it, I did it. He would answer almost every call. I did every thing but call him on his cell, and he would not come across.

Any suggestions?

I dont think they like to cross just about anything it seems like, unless they are really in the mood... Its not you man. He just wanted her to come to him.

That's tough! It sounds like you needed a partner that coud have gotten up and snuck about 30 yards away to make it sound like the hen was leaving. I have had that work quite a bit. It can be tough to call them across water. Hope you have better luck the rest of the year.

Gundog

Gundog was right. Sometimes you can move yourself even 100yds. and have it work. Your calling is probably ok he just didn't want to cross the creek. Maybe even henned up. I would rather be in the right place anyday.

Don't feel bad man, I had the same thing happen yesteday. Only reason they ended up coming in was they walked all the way around it and then came back. I could have walked up there and built a bridge and they wouldn't have crossed that creek.

Had the same thing happen to me last year 4th season. I worked with a bird for 2 hours and after trying every call and style I had I remembered what Limb had said in an earlier post about giving them the silent treatment. I put the calls down and waited, after about ten minutes of the silent treatment he was double & triple gobbling trying to get me to answer. I continued to not give him even a peep and 5 minutes later I heard him fly accross the creek to find me. Lets just say the rest of the story was in the harvest forum last year. By the way he was killed around 1:00 in the afternoon.

The end result;

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=88&pictureid=763

I have a "shaker gobble" call. After a few soft yelps if you let off a gobble or two that lets that tom know someone else is already there and ready to roll. More times than not that tom will come!

I have a "shaker gobble" call. [/QUOTE said:
one of the best calls i ever bought.........for private land. not the best call to be using if there is a chance of another hunter being around

I wouldn't think too much into it. Those birds can seem so smart sometimes and hang up like that, but sometimes the next day you can go out and do everything wrong and fill your tag. That's what makes it so much fun...if they always came in, then success wouldn't be as sweet.

Top Bottom