Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Theft insurance?

gansomn

Just wondering if you can claim theft for a camera. I would like to drop the money on a few good ones but hate the thought of having this happen. Did not figure it could be done because they arer not at my home. Thanks Had some stole in the past, and just wanted to ask.

I don't think so, insurance is the biggest scam :-( Reconyx cams lock up nice to the tree with the security box and the lock goes through camera and box and around the tree. Take a look at it on their web site. The box also lag bolts to the tree, but the bolts they supply are junk, beef it up to a 5/8 lag bolt. Also a pad lock can be used as a second lock, for overkill.

Insurance

I don't think so, insurance is the biggest scam :-( Reconyx cams lock up nice to the tree with the security box and the lock goes through camera and box and around the tree. Take a look at it on their web site. The box also lag bolts to the tree, but the bolts they supply are junk, beef it up to a 5/8 lag bolt. Also a pad lock can be used as a second lock, for overkill.

I sell insurance (milkweed) you may need it someday. If you do, you will count your blessings.

Just had a couple that lost their home to a fire...completely burned to the ground. They paid $1500 a year in premium for 10 years ($15,000) and collected close to $600,000 for a new home and all their personal property. I would hardly call that a scam.

For those that think the insurance companies are making a killing on your premiums, ask your company to disclose to you what they call a loss ratio. You will find that many insurance companies paid out more money in claims than what they have taken in the past few years. Tornadoes, hail, wind and other catastrophic weather incidents have risen recently.

I have copies of the loss ratio figures and they are not good, which means home and farm insurance rates will increase this year and will more than likely go up quite a bit in the years to come.

On a seperate note to answer your question, you can check with your company to see if you can insure game cameras, you probably can, but a deductible will apply,I have lots of hunters as clients and we do not have any game cameras insured.

Would they qualify as personal property? Probably, but again your deductible would wipe out what you collect, unless the camera is really expensive.

I pay a ton on auto, home owners and health insurance. I understand it's importance. But the way I see it, these big insurance company's don't care about their clients, they care about the wall street investors and their stock. I understand that weather and fraud take their toll. But there are years when disasters are low and everyones got to pay and not everyone makes claims so they are making a ton of money as well from investors.

My boys dirt bikes were stolen from our shed last July and they were not covered even though they were locked up and the policy claims to cover 36k of contents in the the shed. But the slick insurance co. Said "wait those are motor vehicles"... Which they are not They are race bikes and are not street legal. To say I was pissed would be an understatement, maybe because I feel I got the short end of the stick I'm not a fan of insurance company's....

Keeping on the topic, my guess it wouldn't be worth it to insure a trail camera. What would insurance on a trail camera run for a $450-$550 Reconyx ?

Last edited:
Insurance

I pay a ton on auto, home owners and health insurance. I understand it's importance. But the way I see it, these big insurance company's don't care about their clients, they care about the wall street investors and their stock. I understand that weather and fraud take their toll. But there are years when disasters are low and everyones got to pay and not everyone makes claims so they are making a ton of money as well from investors.

My boys dirt bikes were stolen from our shed last July and they were not covered even though they were locked up and the policy claims to cover 36k of contents in the the shed. But the slick insurance co. Said "wait those are motor vehicles"... Which they are not They are race bikes and are not street legal. To say I was pissed would be an understatement, maybe because I feel I got the short end of the stick I'm not a fan of insurance company's....

Keeping on the topic, my guess it wouldn't be worth it to insure a trail camera. What would insurance on a trail camera run for a $450-$550 Reconyx ?

Well, sorry to hear that about the dirt bikes. Yes, that actually is true, dirt bikes are typically not covered unless listed on a policy, same as ATV's and snowmobiles. I am fully aware that everyone does not know every detail about insurance what is covered and what is not (very complicated). There are exclusions, and it is frustrating to find out your property is excluded at claim time.

What I might suggest is using a local insurance company, non-national, like a township mutual or something close by. The majority of my business is with small insurance companies, they do not have national exposure to hurricanes, etc... and they are small town people like you and I?

Sportsmen are in a tough situation when it comes to insurance. I have actually suggested at meetings that companies should look at a "sportsmans" rider. This would include boats, tackle, rods, atv's, snowmobiles, dirt bikes, utv's, guns, bows, stands, cameras, decoys, trolling motors, binoculars, etc...

It would be the responsibility of the insured to list a value and be somewhat accurate with description of items, but the the value would be more of a blanket. The company would charge a premium based on value and we would not have to worry about this or that be excluded or limited.

Example: Did you know that it is possible that not all of your guns are covered by homeowners insurance?

Someday I hope they listen to me on the "sportsmans" rider?

Insurance on a reconyx might run $8-15 per year...?, but I don't know how each company would look at a camera. They are so easy to steal?

I have a buddy that is on this sight that has had 3 reconyx cameras stolen and his insurance did cover them.They told him that they would not cover anymore though.

I have listed trail cameras on my insurance just like you would with jewelry.
I turned in one claim when the cover of an old camtrakker got knocked off and it filled with water. They paid for the repair with no deductible.

Top Bottom