Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

There is a New DNR State Forester Policy coming!

iowathumper

I have worked with my local State Forester over the last 11 years and have gotten some great help over the years.
Everything from TSI work, to setting up timber cuts.

This may not happen anymore.

This is the reply I got from my county forester the other day.

They are starting to really scrutinize the way we use our work hours lately, and frankly I’m not sure I will be able to do any more TSI or timber sale marking from this point forward, because the feds and state do not allocate me any hours or $$ for that activity.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
They are wanting us to just write the plans and get the landowner set up with a professional forester from the private sector who will do the work, instead of the government forester marking trees…I guess I can’t disagree with that (government competing with private). And we are doing a lot more tree health & insect/disease prevention with <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Iowa</st1:place></st1:State> towns…guess the times are changing, good, bad, or indifferent. <o:p></o:p>

Well at least they are not dropping the foresters completely...and the "free" services sure do compete heavily against the private sectors that do the same thing.

Unfortunately, I understand completely where your county forester is coming from. Budgets are horrible across the board (Fed and State). In our last staff meeting, we were told that we'd see a 5% reduction in our FY12 budget and a 20% reduction in our FY13 budget. A 25% budget reduction over 2 years actually cuts into operational costs (paying the bills) and personnel costs (salary/benefits) and nationally, we're hoping there will be no RIFs (Reduction in Force; Fed slang for layoffs).

I know that doesn't offer you any consolation whatsoever in your situation, but, like your county forester, it is going to make it very difficult for me to get out and work with folks like you to do great conservation projects and work towards recovering federally protected species and protecting/improving their habitats. Its the private landowners like yourself (and letemgrow and all the others on here) that are our (FWS) best partners in recovering species/habitat and I HATE having to tell folks "sorry, I can't help right now" and I've done it too many times over the last couple of years for projects I've fought like hell to get started! :thrwrck:

An unfortunate side-effect of our states crap budget situation.

Here is my take on it, and forewarning, I am in the private forestry business, so take my opinion how you will.

The Iowa DNR employs foresters to work for the state nurseries, for the state forests, for small towns and urban areas, and for private landowners.

Generally, 'State Foresters' work on the public, state forest grounds. 'District Foresters' work as a resource for private landowners. Lately, district foresters have been called upon to assist in other areas, such as forest health surveys, etc., and urban forestry plans.

There are 3 million acres of forest in Iowa, give or take, and Iowa is roughly 98% privately owned. There are 15 district foresters in Iowa covering 12 districts. Hash it out, and that is a TON of ground for 15 foresters to cover.

District foresters have always worked side-by-side with the private sector. If it weren't for the private sector, there would be very few projects completed. Your forester isn't saying that he is abandoning you. What he means is that he will no longer be able to come out and paint your trees. He'll still write a stewardship plan and inspect any projects where cost-share is involved. They don't get any compensation for managing sales, etc., and the state knows this and are focusing their attentions elsewhere. District foresters are a great informational resource for landowners, and can act as an intermediary on projects. They are always going to help guide people towards what is best for the forest, and that's not going to change.

Here is my take on it/opinion:

I am passionate about our state's forest resources. As long as landowners are getting QUALITY assistance in management, I don't care much where it comes from. I would love to see the state hiring more private lands foresters, but unfortunately, in the world we live in today, that is way down on the list, hiding under all the other government garbage. The state is making big cuts (has been) and all indications point towards more.

The DNR trains some good foresters, and the ones we have now have a wealth of knowledge that needs to be shared and passed on. Most of our forests are in rough shape. It is important that we continue to get quality guidance in management as we push through these rough times, and there are so many misconceptions out there about forest management.

Forests are a complicated beast, and for some reason people are continuing to dumb down management. The internet has allowed for a multitude of learning opportunities, but it has also turned a lot of people into 'instant foresters'. TSI isn't just walking into the timber, finding an oak, and cutting down the hickory next to it.

Managing a timber isn't like growing a field of corn (not to bash on farmers AT ALL, obviously :grin:)... If you grow a bad field of corn one year, you start again the next. A bad move in managing a forest can mean repercussions lasting 50 years or more.

OK, I'll quit rambling :grin:. There are plenty of people out there without degrees that know more about forestry than I do... I'm just trying to point out a couple of observations. I'll try to summarize what I mean here:

There is plenty of room in Iowa for both the district foresters and private foresters. We are both professionals, and it is always best to work with other professionals in your field rather than against them. Forestry is an old profession, but it is always evolving... it'll never be perfected and there is always room to learn. We, as Iowans, landowners, and natural resource managers, need to keep together if we want the best out of our state's limited resources.

I'll step down off my pedestal now :way:

I had my district forester come out a couple years ago and he told me pretty much the same thing. He basically said with the amount of area he covers he can't allot any time to mark trees but could recommend some good private foresters that would. I told him that I was wanting to do some myself and he went through the basics of what he looks for when marking. We then walked the property marked a few trees and he explained why he would chose them. He also had me mark a couple areas on my own just to make sure I had the hang of it.

Top Bottom