Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

thermacell mosquito repellent

walley250

Just wondering if these things work. The bugs are going to be extra bad this year with all rain we have been getting. It would be nice to use a product that didnt stick as bad as off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: walley250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bugs are going to be extra bad this year </div></div>

Correction

The bugs ARE extra bad this year.......

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I've got one and it works well for me. It does give off an odor but I killed three does with it on last year.

In fact I built a couple of holders that hook under the seat of my ladder stands that holds in under my seat so the vapors or magic stuff it puts out can work their way around me.

I have also used it on the back deck in the evenings and it works quite well there too. Wind is an issue though. If it is too windy it just blows the stuff past you.

Bottom line, if I broke or lost this one I'd buy another.

The 'Bonker

They work pretty well as long it is calm. Much of a breeze at all renders them ineffective.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowa1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They work pretty well as long it is calm. Much of a breeze at all renders them ineffective. </div></div>

Agreed to a certain point; however, if it is windy at all, you probably won't even need it.

I bought one last year and I look forward to hunting this fall with it. It worked awesome last fall and awesome this spring. I forgot it one day this spring and made sure to come back with it the second day and it worked like magic.

Last September on a hog hunt a buddy opted not to spend the $23.00 on a thermacell and paid big time. In one sit he had this many bites on his hands. I used one and didn't get a single bite. The owners of the ranch got him one the next day. They work well but if they spook game I don't know. I have shot plenty of does and a few other critters using them but would have a hard time using one if I was after a mature whitetail just my 2 cents. They do work wonders on the mosquitos though.
JimHand.JPG

They work great, spring bears this year North of Thompson Manitoba, Bug capital of the world. Walking to the stand was so bad you wanted to go fetal and cry, once at the stand and fire the thermacell it was t-shirts and no skeeters. They smell a little, but so does the cigarette I'm puffin on so I'm not to concerned about it.

Hey Saskbowhunter, who'd you hunt with up there? I went with Grey Owl a couple years ago....we went early enough were there weren't bugs yet though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Central Iowa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot plenty of does and a few other critters using them but would have a hard time using one if I was after a mature whitetail just my 2 cents. They do work wonders on the mosquitos though.</div></div>

Agreed, but if you're hunting the wind, it shouldn't matter even if you put cologne on...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They do work wonders on the mosquitos though.</div></div>

Amen to that brother!

Top Bottom