Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thinking about buying a pistol, need suggestions.

iowabucks

Hey everyone, I have been thinking about buying a pistol for home defense and to target practice with. Haven't had a reason to have one at home yet, but you never know. Just want to have some piece of mind. No kids at home anymore so i don't have to worry about anyone else finding it. I plan on teaching the wife how to use it too. I have shot other friends pistols before, so i am not new to the game.
Just want to know everyones opinion on what to look at. I don't want to spend over $500, but want a decent gun. Hopefully something that has pretty cheap ammo. I wondered about 9mm before but many people say it doesn't have much stopping power. Also have to consider what the wife can handle. She has never shot a gun before. I was thinking 45 caliber, but don't think she could handle that, 9 mm would probably be better.
I hope i never end up in a life or death situation, but will do what i have to do. I don't plan on geting a concealed weapons permit.

Whats your thoughts?

You might look into the Taurus line of revolvers. A lot cheaper than S&W and you can load 7 shots. The .357 would have all the stopping power you need and you can also shoot .38 through it, which is one of the cheapest loads.

I have a stainless S&W 5906 9mm and it shoots great. My wife can shoot it just fine. I know people say the 9mm doesn't have enough knock down power but I would hate to get hit in the face or chest with a couple of hollow points /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif It was pretty resonable too. I think I paid around $400 for it. Not sure on the price but check out the M&P line of S&W. They are getting good reviews. I have shot a few Rugers as well and they are a good gun for the money too. Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gersdorf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Not sure on the price but check out the M&P line of S&W. They are getting good reviews. </div></div>

The S&W M&P .40 is what i would buy. Very nice gun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Back40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sig Sauer 226 .40 caliber. Might go some over $500 but darn dependable. </div></div>

Great pistol, but this will be well over $500.

Iowabucks, take a look at the Springfield Armory XD line-affectionately known as the thinking man's Glock. There's different models and calibers in the XDs, and the trigger is awesome. You get alot of gun for around $400.

Also, I would recommend going with .40. You or your wife won't be able to tell much difference between that and 9mm-if you can tell one at all.

I bought the Springfield XD 45 ACP last fall. I had heard a lot fo good things about it. I think it is a fun gun to shoot. It was a little less than $500. I would recommend checking out some of the handgun magazines they have out there. It might give you a better idea of what's out there.

for the price you looking for i would go with a glock 19(9mm)maybe even look at the glock 22(40cal) thats what i carry and i love it. also look up what timekiller said, the xd is a pretty good gun.... all of these your wife could handle, my wife shoots my handguns all the time without an issue.....

XD's are great!! My self defense weapon is a Kahr CW 40. It's a single stack, very nice for a carry gun and no safety to think about in a pressured moment. Just aim and fire. .40 may be better for you wife. Not as hot as a .45 but more knock down than a 9mm. In my opinon best home defense weapon is a 12 guage with 00 buck.

I have a Walther P99 in 9mm and I love this gun. 17 rounds of some Speer Gold dot and I don't care who you are, you are getting stopped!

The .45 is definitely a much harder hitting gun. I have a Ruger P345 in .45 and it shoots nicer than my 9. Definitely worth taking a look at. If your wife can handle a 9mm, she can handle this gun. And they are well below $500, I believe. I bought mine from a friend for $300. It only had 25 rounds put through it. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> In my opinon best home defense weapon is a 12 guage with 00 buck. </div></div>

Hands down. I'll add pump in front of 12 guage. Nothing says intimidation like a pump shotgun being racked. It's one of the few sounds that can't be mistaken for anything else. You more than likely wouldn't need the 00 once an intruder heard that.

Try a Local gun shop, most where i live have ranges for you to try differant brands and when you find one thats fits your hand the best get out and practice,practice,practice. (cheap ammo)? How much do you spend on your broadheads or deer ammo? Buy the best while your alive, you can't take it with you. Good luck.

Sig Sauer 226 .40 is an amazingly accurate and dependable firearm, but it is more than what you want to spend.

Glock 22 .40 is a simple and cheaper gun. They just plain work, too.

Springfield XD's are great guns, too. Features of a Sig and Glock in one gun.

Revolvers will never jam.

The best option in my opinion: pump action 12 gauge, 18.5 barrel, and a magazine stuffed with OO buck. The wife can shoot it just fine too. A shoulder-fired firearm is FAR superior in a badguy-goodguy confrontation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iowabucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hopefully something that has pretty cheap ammo.
</div></div>

There's your showstopper. Go 9mm if you're wanting cheap ammo and a lot of shooting. Not a bad route anyway for a first pistol due to the lesser recoil than some of the other choices which might get the wife involved. Once you have her hooked, you can pick up another caliber. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Seriously though, if you go anything other than 9mm, consider reloading if you haven't already. You can bring the cost per round into a more doable range AND get better plinking loads than you can buy IMO.

For the price range and uses you've listed, you can't hardly beat a Glock 17 or if you want a mid-size, a G19. Springfield XD is another to consider.

My suggestion would be a Springfield XD in .40 cal. A 9 is just a little to light to stop a meth head, might as well throw rocks. A .40 with some Winchester Ranger ammo will do some wicked damage. I have a Glock 22 in .40 cal and love it. Talk about a fail safe weapon. But I will admit the XD has many more safety features such as tactile cocked and round chambered features, and a grip safety as well as the Glock style trigger safety. The only trouble I have had with the XDs is that the trigger creep is noticiably longer than a Glock, so as a result I shoot a Glock more accurately, but if you start with the XD you will never know the difference. A major plus of the XD is the spring loaded magazine dump. You can hold the gun sideways and it will still eject the mag, with a glock the mag ejects about a quarter inch, then has to be then slid out most times. Just a difference in design theory. Good luck with your purchase!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timekiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> In my opinon best home defense weapon is a 12 guage with 00 buck. </div></div>

Hands down. I'll add pump in front of 12 guage. Nothing says intimidation like a pump shotgun being racked. It's one of the few sounds that can't be mistaken for anything else. You more than likely wouldn't need the 00 once an intruder heard that.

</div></div>

It rates very high on the pucker factor.

I think the 870 is the best idea in the hands of someone not going to practice very much. I like autos but I'm not sure I'd want one without a hammer for a spouse or an auto for that matter in a stressful situation that is probably going to be decided in 1 or at most 2 shots. Thinking of slides, safeties, single action or double action can be complicated and confusing for a novice. A nice 4" .357 with grips that fit her hand would be good. Practice with .38s is pretty cheap. If she were to remember nothing else and just point and squeeze the trigger it will go off.

Man ready to make a post after reading the thread and pharmer already made it. You might look at the Ruger GP 100. You should be able to find one for around $500 blued. You can get in a 3, 4 , or a 6 inch barrel.
286L.jpg

How about one of those revolvers that shoot .410 shells? Won't shoot through walls and hit "the baby in the crib".

I have a .40 USP for home defense. I don't shoot it enough to be profeccient, but in a tense situation I belive I can fip off the safety and use double action to get a shot off. My wife is a different story. She has shot it a couple of times, but she just doesn't like to shoot guns.

This morning when I got home from work she told me there were two cars at the end of the driveway last night that sat there for about ten miuntes. She saw something pass between the windows of the cars and then they left. That story had me rethinkingh the whole USP thing. I know she wouldn't be able to use it in a plinking situation let alone somebody bustin in to the house. So I wonder if the .410 revolver wouldn't fit the bill for her. She could just point and pull and with shot shells she should be able to hit something.

Anyway, I showed her how to use the USP again this morning and told her not to be afraid to dial 911.

Anybody have any experience with the .410 revolvers? I've looked at them at gun shows but just as a novelty.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody have any experience with the .410 revolvers?
The 'Bonker </div></div>

Yes, they are wicked at 25 yards. Thats about it, but for home defense, that is all your going to need.

Top Bottom