Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

This can't be legal....

skyleralan

PMA Member
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=402622199888135&set=gm.901670566511149&type=1&theater* I removed the link to the FB ad.

So, the original post had a link to a guy's FB ad to sell antlers that were still attached to skulls (whether dead-heads or killed bucks), he is/was selling them for $200.

I wasn't sure on the legality of the actions. I didn't mean to "out" the person I just didn't know how legal the practice was, and personally thought it might invite the DNR by for a visit.

After several posts, and actually thinking about it (like I posted later) I know of several mounts including one purchased by my father in Colorado of an elk head, which is essentially the same thing. Has anyone spoken to anyone from the DNR about the practice of selling skulls/mounts and what to be careful of in doing so?

Last edited:
Most them racks look fresh. I would have to doubt the legality of them. I would stay far away.

Yeah most look "fresher"... sure makes a person wonder... however, I have sold racks from over 10 years ago with no tags on the antler... but back then, you could tag on the legs, so I am confused about the comment of "needs to have a tag on an antler to be legal to sell" ??

How can you tell from that foggy pic if they are fresh?? I've seen lots of old racks with the skin and the hair still stuck to the top of the skull plate. Maybe instead of a huge poacher conspiracy, this guys wife wants all his racks out of the house.

How can you tell from that foggy pic if they are fresh?? I've seen lots of old racks with the skin and the hair still stuck to the top of the skull plate. Maybe instead of a huge poacher conspiracy, this guys wife wants all his racks out of the house.

x2. I drive by a few places where the people living there hang skulls, with antlers still attached, to the fence, to the barn, etc. Where there used to be a few "dead heads" on display, there are now many, as in 2 or 3 times the amount from a couple of years ago. I assume the big ehd kills helped many add to their collection in the past couple of years.

That guy's pile looked like it could have come from one "good walk" in the last couple of years. Let's not make assumptions and speculate publicly that there is a problem with them unless we know something.

I'm pretty sure if these were found there'd still have to be a paperwork trail. You cant just take any deer you find in the woods, you must have a salvage tag to remove the animal. And along with the salvage tag comes rules. I honestly don't think you can sell any animal in your possession that was inquired with a salvage tag. But I may be wrong. I have had talks with my CO about dead heads and its a pretty serious matter, id be careful.

Internet police....please go away.
If you have trespasser photos, post them.
If you have real evidence of a crime, report them.
If you have accusations about someone and have no real idea of the scenario or proof, keep it to yourself.

If you have accusations about someone and have no real idea of the scenario or proof, keep it to yourself.

So this is legal? I have never sold nor would I sell anything it just seems to invite "the law" to your house.

Honest question, relax.

ha-ha wow this post must of hit close to home. Something to hide?

I think it was an honest question. If it is poaching id sure want it stopped in my area.

So this is legal? I have never sold nor would I sell anything it just seems to invite "the law" to your house.

Honest question, relax.

Pretty sure there is nothing wrong with what is going on here. You would be shocked at the amount of antlers that are bought and sold every day just like this. Some states have laws against selling any antler whatsoever but in Iowa, that looks just fine to me.

I'm also not sure from blurry blurry picture how anyone could tell that they are fresh or 15 years old. I have a friend who buys probably close to 1000 pounds of antler every month. Been with him on a few trips and see this time and time again.

What year did the rule change to tag the deer on the antlers and not the leg??

I knew the selling of sheds is legal, and now that I think about it, lots of people sell old mounts just seems different, but probably isn't.

For that matter, my dad actually purchased an elk mount in Colorado close to a year ago. I know out west, they put actual metal rings/tags on "dead heads" to show they were legally acquired.

I don't see anything wrong with it. The way Iowa's tagging system is set up as soon as you get the buck home and processed you can take the tag off. If not I know of a lot of mounts and racks of legally taken deer that would have to be confiscated.

Page 28 of the regs has tagging requirements. Yes, the tags could have been removed, but they should have been on the beam. As for salvage tags, my co told me it is illegal to sell antlers with a salvage tag. I'm not sure if that's everyone's interpretation, but it's his. I'm not saying this is illegal, but I can see how the question could be asked.

ha-ha wow this post must of hit close to home. Something to hide?

I think it was an honest question. If it is poaching id sure want it stopped in my area.

No, nothing to hide. That is why I say if you have real evidence or knowledge of a crime go after them, contact law enforcement. I hate poachers and trespassers! But smearing someone's name (and I understand this is a very minor instance of it) without knowledge of the situation is not a good thing to do. Most people come on here to enjoy others stories and learn from conversation. Even to share ideas on how to deal with poachers and trespassers. Things like this bring the site down.

The original poster is normally an exemplary member and great contributor to this site. This post just doesn't help this site. Nothing more to it or personal about it.

I don't see anything wrong with it. The way Iowa's tagging system is set up as soon as you get the buck home and processed you can take the tag off. If not I know of a lot of mounts and racks of legally taken deer that would have to be confiscated.

I agree with Bowtech here. Here's another way of looking at it...suppose I shoot a buck and legally tag it and everything, then I have it mounted...without the tag on the antlers...and then later decide to sell it. How is that different than what this guy is doing?

Honest question...was the original question the legality of the racks or the legality of selling them? Responses seem to show mixed interpretations of the original question to me.

Honest question...was the original question the legality of the racks or the legality of selling them? Responses seem to show mixed interpretations of the original question to me.

Ok, edited original post may have answered my question. Looks like it was asking as to the legality of selling antlers attached to skull plate, not trying to smear the guy's name as a poacher.

I have four shoulder mounts 3-4 euro mounts & lots of antlers of bucks I have harvested over the years.1 of my mounts & 2 of my euro mounts have the tags in the skull or stapled on the back side of the mount 1 i have in a safe so I can take it to the deer classic this year to get measured.other than that I have no idea where my other tags are. so I believe it would be no problem selling the racks of any of my deer even ones I do not have tags for.Due to the way the regs read.

Top Bottom