Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

This deer concerns me...EHD? CWD? of just an injury?

You guys would prolly have a little better guess than I would (mine leans on EHD "blue tounge") but I am definitely no biologist. This deer roams in the heart of a whitetail MECCA on southern iowa. This piece of ground is one that I hunt routinely, and have seen no other signs in any other deer so I'm hoping its just a past injury (broken jaw, car accident, past wound) that is affecting this deers health..I HOPE. Landowner wants to think its CWD, but I keep telling him they have found no evidence of it in Iowa. I wondered about EHD because of the discoloration of the tounge, and the fact that its swollen and hanging out. What are your guys thoughts on this one?.....I just hope its from a past injury.

379046_554990608599_138801477_31247270_1041837744_n.jpg

I would call that EHD or hit by a car. The first tell tell sign of EHD is the tongue hanging out of their mouth.

I sure hope he gets put out of misery soon. Pretty scary site if it's one of the diseases. Guys are complaining of low deer numbers now....

I had EHD hit my place in KY in 08 I found 11 deer dead all was found along a creek. Usually most will be found dead in the summer but EHD it is not always fatal in all deer so it could be one that survived. Is the coloration on the hoofs also out of character for deer of that area?

EHD and blue tongue are 2 different diseases. As far as I know all known cases of EHD and Blue Tongue have occurred in the summer and early fall before the first frost. They are transmitted through biting flies (vector) that usually die off after the first frost(which we've had). So I'm guessing EHD and BTV are out of the question.

Hopefully it's some sort of injury, but I would try to kill him if I was you. By the looks of him, he's not going to last much longer anyway.

His antlers grew pretty whacky, so maybe the theory of a deer that had EHD and survived would explain why his antlers grew so weird this summer. Interesting pic none the less.

I had EHD hit my place in KY in 08 I found 11 deer dead all was found along a creek. Usually most will be found dead in the summer but EHD it is not always fatal in all deer so it could be one that survived. Is the coloration on the hoofs also out of character for deer of that area?

He's just been walking through mud. I'd say call the DNR and have them take it out, let's hope if it's something bad they can take care of it before it spreads.

Thats a tough one. Sure looks sick, but with the antlers he grew he has had some issues/ injurys in the past. I doubt its EHD or CWD but maybe some other sickness or injury.Like said EHD is a late summer thing and kills them fast, some do survive and get immunity but dont show these severe signs. Either way he wont last much longer and should be tested.

You should dump an pile of corn and get a mineral block set out for him. He looks hungry and needs some vitamins.

Seriously though, he looks sick. I hope to hell it's not something that will spread through the herd.

This deer would be a good one to help the push for banning supplemental feeding and minerals. You want that thing swapping spit with the deer on your farm?

EHD all the way. i have seen several cases this year in different stages. Frome dead in velvet to a buck we killer 1st season shot gun. Bad deadl. he wont make it threw the winter if it get cold cold.

This deer would be a good one to help the push for banning supplemental feeding and minerals. You want that thing swapping spit with the deer on your farm?

Hmmm :rolleyes: And with this reasoning you would also have to push for the extermination of all midges and biting flies, and we would have to train the deer to not urinate or $hit anywhere that potential food sources could grow, and for that matter we would have to stop all the does from having fawns and passing any disease through maternal transmission! :thrwrck: but yeah, let's worry about supplemental feeding and minerals first! :rolleyes:

Yeah, you probably should worry about sup. feeding and minerals first because that is one thing that we CAN control.

I realize that it is spread by flies, but the article that I just read about it also said that it can be transmitted oraly. Not trying to start a fight so chill.

But really, would you want that deer swapping spit with other deer? I doubt it.

But the thing is, that deer if he grooms with any other deer is swapping spit too... So better keep the deer from grouping up and doing that too... I know this was a heated debate last year, but banning supp feeding and minerals licks is not the answer... While everyone thinks it is, there are WAYY more variables that we cannot control, than the one that we can... just my 2 cents...
But I believe the deer has blue tongue, or got smoked by a car... the hooves looks like he has been in water a lot trying to drink is my opinion

Again, not arguing, just gonna throw out some thoughts here...

Lets say its Aug. or Sept. and you check your camera that you have on a mineral block in a plastic tub. You get a picture of that buck then your next few pictures are the 160 10 and the 150 8 that you plan on chasing all fall and winter. Then you get pics of does with fawns and pretty much every other deer in the area... all just got done lapping up some mineral.

Does that make you feel good about having that mineral out for the deer and/or for getting pics? Or does it make you sick? Do you leave the tub of mineral or do you take it out after getting these pics?

We have argued the fact till we are blue in the face, and Yes, I agree that it can be spread that way. But there are so many factors facing the facts, that it will spread naturally just as fast. Look at every state that has CWD confirmed. IL is the only state that does not allow baiting, or even hunting over bait for that matter. Of course, IL doesn't allow anything, unless your an outfitter or a big TV star. :grin:

I just read a great article a while back on the spread of CWD. 2 of the top whitetail biologist (1 out of Kansas, 1 out of Michigan) did this study on feeding, food source, whitetail interaction, natural habitat, and so on, with deer infected with CWD. If mineral stations are what you are worried about, then it is pretty much null. Their observations were, deer that have CWD, and have become ill, rarely, if at all visit a mineral station. Energy is better spent on a food source. But then it was brought up, if the deer is infected with CWD, but hasn't shown symptoms yet, they will still visit a mineral site. Well, by then, they have already naturally spread it to more of the herd through social interaction between deer (licking noses, ect). So mineral sites seem to be loosing credibility on spreading the disease.

I'm not going to get into another rant or argument on the subject again. I can say this though, the whitetail herd I have been hunting this year, is extremely healthy, lots of deer numbers, and one of the best years I've had. And all were supplimental fed through the end of Jan-April last year. Guess I am wiping out the herd worse than the Farm Bearu and Governor.

I'm doing my best to get a crack at this deer, mainly just to get it out of its suffering, and to figure out what it actually is. I can promise of I kill this deer...i'm not touching it....DNR is getting called immediately. The problem with killing this deer is that he roams about 5,000 acres of untouchables for me, and i doubt the other guys would kill it, but I really hope they would with all they preach to the public and then get the DNR involved....we have only got this one picture of him.

So how long has he looked like that? Have you seen him on the hoof several times? I am going more and more with hit by a car then... I hear CWD after awhile they cant even walk...so I dont think thats it

Top Bottom