Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

This is in the legislative forum.

So do you think that a couple acres gets you a free tag? I always thought land owners got tags because they provided food and habitat.Illinois I think requires you own 40 acres.Looks like Iowa loses alot of revenue passing out tags to the guys that may have a big yard.Interesting

I would have to look at the regs but I know a buddy of mine has 20 acres and can get a fre tag. I personally think 40 acres should be the limit.

I would have to look at the regs.

I agree 40 is about right. It should at least be a huntable amount whatever that is.The free tag shouldnt allow you to hunt any place else including group hunts>

I love it when someone is proud of "shopping local" when they mention they shopped at an Iowan Walmart! Oh yah, they also supported Little Ceasars. Lots of good that does your local economy. Some of you don't get it. I have no problem with people doing what's best for their family but don't feed me a line about spending your money in Iowa. Support Real local businesses. Spend money with locally owned establishments. I rarely look at this site anymore because of the negative, close minded sentiment. Your deer hunting honeymoon is over. If you don't own land or want to pay real money, your days of deer hunting for free are coming to an end. I remember when Iowa was a pheasant hunters paradise. Look at it now. The same can happen to deer hunting. A few non resident hunters will have no impact on what happens. I really miss the old site. We used to talk about hunting deer etc...

I love it when someone is proud of "shopping local" when they mention they shopped at an Iowan Walmart! Oh yah, they also supported Little Ceasars. Lots of good that does your local economy. Some of you don't get it. I have no problem with people doing what's best for their family but don't feed me a line about spending your money in Iowa. Support Real local businesses. Spend money with locally owned establishments. I rarely look at this site anymore because of the negative, close minded sentiment. Your deer hunting honeymoon is over. If you don't own land or want to pay real money, your days of deer hunting for free are coming to an end. I remember when Iowa was a pheasant hunters paradise. Look at it now. The same can happen to deer hunting. A few non resident hunters will have no impact on what happens. I really miss the old site. We used to talk about hunting deer etc...

Yeah I hear you.

I really hate it when people don't get it to.

I think everyone of those employees were from Minnesota. :thrwrck:

Crazy how that works.

Again your wrong.

It takes 10 acres to get a resident landowner tag.
They are not free as you said. They are $2. Basically free but not.

It's bascailly like this.

Say a Iowa resident buys a home/condo in Arizona.
What if the state of Arizona says you can go to your condo but you can't shower?

That's what the state of Iowa is saying.
You can buy land but you can't hunt.

Am I right?

No, you are not right. In my zone you can draw an either sex mloader or shotgun tag every year, you just cant draw an archery either sex tag but every third year now. And you can still hunt whatever else you like every year. Or you can use the party hunting loophole during the years you dont draw a bow tag. If you only want to bowhunt, you can use a bow during the late mloader season. My last 2 170 class bowkills were late muzzy. No it's not the rut, but I think it can be the best time of the year to kill an older buck, and a tag you can draw every year in most zones.

Last edited:
I have never heard you can use a bow tag during late season muzzy. Also if it is about deer numbers why is a bow tag so much harder to draw than a gun tag? I understand you can hunt the rut but I suspect a firearm is more lethal than a bow.Still I cant understand why a nrlo harvesting one deer from his property even compares to all the poaching that occurs while the nrlo is not present.The nrlo harvest is pretty light I suspect compared to the poacher harvest yet some people speak out more against the nrlo.

It would be interesting to know how many NR landowners hunt deer in Iowa?

20-25% of the land is owned by NR, but a high % of that is tillable/investment ground, where no deer hunting happens.

Anyone know?

I ve ask that question before but never got a real answer.That could put to rest the fear of the land rush.In addition to the guys that want to plant corn I have always suspected a portion of the total acres was and still is purchased by overseas investors that are more interested in buying America than deer hunting.I think the dnr asks or at one time asked when appling for a tag if your were a landowner.It would be fairly easy for them to tally up this number if they do . I too think that number is important when tag numbers are being established for the different zones.

Yeah a bow is a legal weapon with a late mloader tag. I understand both sides, so usually stay out of this one. I do know that I would much rather have a NRLO managing his farm for wildlife as a neighbor, than a bulldozer crazy local resident.

Sky, does every Iowan support Iowa financially? Meaning does every resident pay income tax, property tax, sales tax? I'm certain, as in every state, some residents are unfortunately unable to work or won't work and support Iowa businesses on everyone's tax dollars in the form of state/federal support. If I moved to Iowa what would change for you? I will still pay property tax, a water bill, an electric bill, a mortgage to an Iowa bank,as I do presently, and pay more sales tax due to living there. I would still only allow, as I do now, my resident neighbor to hunt and trap my property. It's the same argument every year with no change occurring if us NR landowners moved to the state. I contribute financially to the state and provide access to an Iowa resident, acts some residents aren't willing, can't, or don't do. Also, "you knew the rules" argument is not valid either. Since I bought in Iowa I can no longer purchase an archery doe tag and the cost of a tag more than doubled. I guess rule changes are ok just so they benefit the resident?

Well, my dog in the fight is I am a teacher at a very small district that gets smaller every year. Every student is 6K, and it gets sad when you have to start viewing students as "$" signs instead of students. I get NonRes. frustrations, but every person who lives in their state should get certain "liberties" that NonRes.'s don't. It is nothing against any of you or your character, and I think it is unfair for any of us to get into the whole, "I spend "x" amount in my town/state, etc.

I don't think it is unfair or unethical to hope that my neighbor/friend/dad/brother/brother-in-law/grandpa/uncle/etc. gets a chance to buy land over a NonRes., and I think that goes for all of you. We would all rather see land stay in the hands of "our" residents and friends. I want to see my friends who are farmers have their sons be farmers and so on and so on.

Again, the Iowa laws are what they are. I truly feel bad for those of you who have had to move for various reasons, one thing I will say is you must make sacrifices and for me, making less and staying home is fine with me. Sure, I don't see a new truck in my future or a new house, but I work hard for what I have and I love the opportunities that Iowa provides me.

It's the principle of rights conveyed by conception regardless of level of contribution. I like it.

I wouldn't be against a native born Iowan whom bought land while living here and had to move away because of a job still getting a LO tag every year, but in order to keep Iowa the way it is and has been and likely the reason we have so many big deer and why most NR long to hunt/own land here, it can't change.. If you buy land here as a NR, you knew the rules and ignorance isn't an excuse.. Dont like it? Then why not spend your hard earned money somewhere else? There are a lot of other states out there with big deer.. Its all how you manage it. Some of you are right, we are a "free" country, but, with-in this "free" country there are many limitations that every State has with-in its boundaries... The so called "freedom" is that you are able to CHOOSE where you want to live... In all reality, nothing is free... so make the necessary sacrifices

Last edited:
AIRASSAULT said:
If you buy land here as a NR, you knew the rules and ignorance isn't an excuse.. Dont like it? Then why not spend your hard earned money somewhere else?

Because its too much fun to come on here light the match and watch the fireworks..........

Duh isn't that what every nonresident forum member does. We are all just bad apples.....

It's the principle of rights conveyed by conception regardless of level of contribution. I like it.

Is this just a fancy way to say “freeloader”? I’m not sure how you are using it in the context of this thread but I do like the phrase.

Jduds
The truth would be nice. Opinions always welcome, flat out lies not so much. I've always respected your opinions, usually don't agree. You would be better served to not let your dislike of the IBA get in the way of your thought process. From past posts I thought you were better than that. My mistake.

A nice campaign contribution from the IBA to the committee chair doesn't hurt either.

The IBA has never made a political contribution in its 47 yrs.

I'm not an IBA hater at all, but I do know how the political process works. Lobbyists are paid to talk with politicians for interest groups. No matter how one spins it that is a payment in exchange for a conveyance of ideas. During the conversation favors are swapped and votes traded between legislators, as facilitated by paid lobbyists, for support and non-support on cetain bills. That's fine. That's the way legislation is shaped and how the system works. Lastly, with all due respect NR landowners ideas and/or positions are not welcomed here and never have been. That's fine as well. I will continue to own land and visit Iowa per the regs.

Last edited:
We understand each other,but a fee to a lobbyist is NOT a contribution to a committee chair which was your comment.

ElkHunter said:
We understand each other,but a fee to a lobbyist is NOT a contribution to a committee chair which was your comment.

That's splitting hairs. The principle is the same. It's meant to influence a decision by a politican.

Top Bottom