Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thompson Center Pro Hunter XT

Jethro

I decided this is going to be my last year for my old Knight original disc muzzy and have been looking into a new one. After a bunch of research I am leaning towards a Thomson Center Pro Hunter XT muzzleloader. Does anyone here have one? I really like these, just looking for some feedback with pros & cons from some that already have or had one before I drop the coin for one. Does the speed breech work as they claim? Appreciate any input. Thanks.

:way: you will not regret spending the money. I have the black and stainless with the thumbhole stock, and my old man has the stainless and black with the regular stock. Both are very accurate and very easy to clean. the speedbreach is quick and easy and very handy. I think you will be very pleased. Great quality very solid gun.

HHHHHHHHmmmmmmmmmmm……………………what to say, what to say. Ok here goes! :D

If it was me I would convert my Knight rifle to use the red disc. Knight has a website and you should be able to get the bolt and breech plug from them.
<O:p</O:p
I have never seen a T/C yet that could out shoot a Knight!
peepwall.gif

peepwall.gif
[/QUOTE]

I would agree with this statement. BUT with that said, it all depends on how much of a perfectionist you are. I used to shoot 3 shots touching with my Knight with little to no effort, with the TC it took alot of shooting and messing around to get the results I wanted, but after alot of trial and error it will shoot half dollar size groups at 100 yards. Don't let that detour you from buying one, just read alot and figure out what load, clean/dirty barrel, etc. that your particular gun likes. Good Luck :way:

I have looked into converting mine to an extreme and that option is still open later on since I'm going to keep it for awhile. I have looked at the T/C's before and awhile back at the range a guy next to me had one and let me shoot it. I really liked it. Kind of planted the seed again so to say. The speed breech would be nice and a heck of quicker, and easier to clean. I have nothing bad to say about my Ol' Knight, it's put alot of meat on the table. I guess i just have a itch and need to scratch it. ;)

peepwall.gif

Don’t hold back guys, I actually expected a lot more flack from many of you. :D:D:D

Seriously though, as stated earlier, buy what you want to buy and spend the time working up a load that your firearm likes. Them practice, practice, practice.

Last edited:
Jethro, for some reason I thought you shot a side lock.:confused:
As for the speed breech, if you see the need to remove the plug for cleaning, then that one is probably the way to go. JMO but I just can't understand the need to remove a breech plug for cleaning. But that's probably just my so called elitist attitude showing !:D:D:D Good luck with whatever you go with.:way:

I have been doing a lot of researching too at all of them out there and have finally narrowed it down to the CVA APEX or Accura. The adjustable trigger, breach plug and premium barrel sold me on it. The TCs look good but I can't see one advantage to them.

The old knight still shoots great though. Hard to give it up but its not handy to find bullets for a 45 caliber. Goodluck on the purchase!!!

Jethro, You need to find a Knight long range hunter with the thumbhole stock! Sweet gun! If you find one let me know. I'll buy it if you don't!

I'm looking to get a muzzleloader also. Scheels has Omega's for $100 off their original prices. The stainless steel/camo ones are $430 and the same thing except the Dream Season models are $400 I believe. But they don't have the speedbreach. I'm leaning towards getting one anyway, but my buddy says spend the little extra coin and get a Pro or Triumph with the speedbreach because they're so much quicker/easier to clean. I have my dad's muzzleloader to get me by this year, but next year I want to have my own rig ready to rock.

You absolutely need to remove the breach plug to clean. This is a neccessity in an in-line muzzle loader. Since they are so easy to take out, I would do it whether it's a speed breach or a regular one with a wrench needed.

You absolutely need to remove the breach plug to clean. This is a neccessity in an in-line muzzle loader. Since they are so easy to take out, I would do it whether it's a speed breach or a regular one with a wrench needed.

We could argue that statement all day long, but the bottom line is muzzleloaders have been around for over 500 years and until 15 or so years ago, were cleaned very well without removing the breech plug. If a person can't tell by looking at a cleaning patch to tell if the gun is clean, then by all means, pull the plug and look down the barrel of the modern muzzleloader. It certainly isn't needed though. My rolling block M/L is an inline and in 15 years of heavy shooting, the "Removable" breech plug has never been out of the gun. There simply isn't any need to remove it. Every time a "Bolt" is screwed in and out, small amounts of material are worn away. With the breech being the absolute most important part of the guns safety, I'm not about to be wearing out threads needlessly.
Ever wondered where the breech plug will end up if it blows out the end of the barrel? It ain't pretty.

Last edited:
We could argue that statement all day long, but the bottom line is muzzleloaders have been around for over 500 years and until 15 or so years ago, were cleaned very well without removing the breech plug. If a person can't tell by looking at a cleaning patch to tell if the gun is clean, then by all means, pull the plug and look down the barrel of the modern muzzleloader. It certainly isn't needed though. My rolling block M/L is an inline and in 15 years of heavy shooting, the "Removable" breech plug has never been out of the gun. There simply isn't any need to remove it. Every time a "Bolt" is screwed in and out, small amounts of material are worn away. With the breech being the absolute most important part of the guns safety, I'm not about to be wearing out threads needlessly.
Ever wondered where the breech plug will end up if it blows out the end of the barrel? It ain't pretty.

How do you clean with the breech plug still in? I'd be worried about leaving a patch down there, plus how can you see if your barrel is spotless? Makes sense about the breech plug wearing out but also want to make sure my barrel is spotless.

FWIW, back to the original post, I think TC's are overpriced and they're falling into those gimmicky models like the Bone Collector and what not. I don't want a rifle that says Bone Collector all over it, I'd feel like I need to turn in my man card for that. You can get one of the new Knight long range rifles for a similar price. I use a Traditions Vortek and love the thing, but will probably get a Knight once they are readily available.

How do you clean with the breech plug still in? I'd be worried about leaving a patch down there, plus how can you see if your barrel is spotless? Makes sense about the breech plug wearing out but also want to make sure my barrel is spotless.

Todays modern inlines are designed to remove the plug, as they are a sloppy fit to begin with. The mfg's figure the gun will never see enough shots to wear them out. I'm just saying they don't need to come out to clean the gun. If your patch comes out clean, it stands to reason the bore is clean. As for a lost patch, there's a tool called a worm that screws to the end of a cleaning rod to retrieve lost patches.

Todays modern inlines are designed to remove the plug, as they are a sloppy fit to begin with. The mfg's figure the gun will never see enough shots to wear them out. I'm just saying they don't need to come out to clean the gun. If your patch comes out clean, it stands to reason the bore is clean. As for a lost patch, there's a tool called a worm that screws to the end of a cleaning rod to retrieve lost patches.

Perfect, thanks!

FWIW, back to the original post, I think TC's are overpriced and they're falling into those gimmicky models like the Bone Collector and what not. I don't want a rifle that says Bone Collector all over it, I'd feel like I need to turn in my man card for that. You can get one of the new Knight long range rifles for a similar price. I use a Traditions Vortek and love the thing, but will probably get a Knight once they are readily available.

I agree about the so called bone collector crap. Why anyone would want that stamped on anything is beyond me. Little big guy syndrome i guess.

As far as the Knight long range rifles go i really like those as well but they are so dang hard to find. I have been looking at both and if i could find the right Knight long range rifle I would buy it, It's just for that amount of money I want to get what i like and want.

I have a TC Triumph, I love it. Smooth shooting gun, easy to clean, very accurate. I have never had a different inline, so have nothing to campare to, but I would buy it again. I do agree with what someone stated earlier about not wanting something that said bone collector or dream season all over it, just not for me.

Top Bottom