Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thought I otter try trapping

dblmainbeam

Well since I'm done bow hunting thought I'd give trapping a try. I got my self a handful of traps. This morning, my second of trapping day I scored on this 38" female otter. I knew they were around but didn't think I'd get one so quick. With a 2 otter limit and it looks like it could be a week or 2 before the qouta is filled I'm excited to see if I can get the male. When I checked it in she officer told me that the males are usually quite a bit bigger up to 25%.
773-trapping_015.jpg

Last edited:
That's cool. It means a lot to me to see that pic. I was the chairman of the "They Otter be in Iowa" program that helped bring otters to Iowa. I never thought I would one day see so many trapped. Matter of fact, I really never thought we would ever see a season on them. You could say the program was a smashing success.

Nice, I've been watching a group of kits and adults this fall while hunting. They are one of my favorite animals, efficient predators. Have not trapped in 20 years, but have thought a number of times about getting a license just to take one for myself.

Wow sorry for the bad typing i was in a hurry when I posted. I didn't want you all to think a drunk person posted that so I fixed it.

I caught a bunch of those around lake red rock before they were legal. Some of the males taped 42-46 inches and had to weigh close to 25 pounds. I quit traping but some year I would love to catch one or two to have tanned. Did you catch it in a crick or pond, and what type of set? Good luck with the male.

Top Bottom