Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

thoughts on a low stand.....

patch86

I hung a very good set today. A bunch of trails leading from a bedding area. Only problem is im like 10 or 12 feet up. Trees in there are terrible. I set back about 25 yards from the main trail since I'm so low. Stand is also a crooked but it works. What's everyone's thoughts on a stand this low?

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
As far as detection goes it all depends on the amount of cover. If there is plenty of cover you'll be fine on detection. The next concern is getting winded by deer on your downwind side if ther isnt a barrier to prevent deer from getting down wind of you.

I can't take it. Been worrying about it to much. Gonna go move it a out 30 yards down the ridge. Better safe then sorry. The height dosent bother just that its unlevel and uncomfortable. That can make a very long sit.

I have sat in a lot of very low trees over the years hunting willow bottoms. The best thing to do is hang your stand on the back side of the tree and shoot around it towards the deer. It helps quite a bit. Sounds like you are moving it anyways. Probably not a bad idea if it is uncomfortable.

I have sat in a lot of very low trees over the years hunting willow bottoms. The best thing to do is hang your stand on the back side of the tree and shoot around it towards the deer. It helps quite a bit. Sounds like you are moving it anyways. Probably not a bad idea if it is uncomfortable.

^^^ this.

But comfort is number one. I have kill a lot of deer between 12-15 ft.

A lot of the land I hunt is hard to find a good tree to get up a lil ways. I have 2 stands that are 13 foot max, but their very bushy trees and I do very little trimming to cover me up as much as possible

Many of our sets are 12 feet or less...I'd say most of them. Cover really is the key. Probably the most productive big buck stand in recent years is 10 feet off the ground at most. It's deep in the timber, with good face cover, and if you hunt it with the right wind direction it's amazing how at-ease deer move by you within close proximity. Good luck :way:

NWBuck

As far as detection goes it all depends on the amount of cover.

One stand I hunt in is maybe 14' tall, but deer never know I am there because the back drop. Tree is wider than I am with 2 hugs limbs going out each way I sit in between.

No problems on a low stand with good cover....except it is easier for them to wind the hunter the lower they are IMO.

You said you are hunting a ridge, are you on the slope? Last year my best set up I had a heavy trail about 15 yards behind me on a trail that ran the side of a ridge in the timber that would put me probalby only about 5 feet above the deers line of sight, in front of me was a corn field that I was probably 25 feet up. I was never detected from any deer using the heavy trail. I even grunted at a buck and he looked down below me to the cornfield.

I think every situation and spot is different. I have had plenty of luck with low stands, but also had some turn inside out. Only one way to find out is to try it :way:

Top Bottom