Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thoughts on Fanning? (PIC Heavy)

BrewCrew

I'm curious what you guys actually think about fanning longbeards? I've heard it called the fan trick, T3 Tactical, the Security Blanket. But I know there are skeptics and non-believers out there. I know others may think it's dumb and unsafe. I'm just curious what you guys honestly believe.

My opinion is that it has added a lot of success and excitement to spring turkey hunting. I have learned a lot about turkeys up close and personal through fanning. The other thing is I don't think I've harvested a 2 year old bird since I learned the trick from sureshot. They've all been big, old, agressive birds. I love it.

Last night was no different. 651 and I were out scouting and found a big group of turks feeding in a field. After gaining permission the chase was on. After about an hour of crawling around, backing out, and cutting these birds off we popped over a terrace to find one tom in the tall grass about 10 yards away. He started working towards the fan to check out his competition and 651 thought his beard was too small :confused: so he let me take him. I didn't hesistate, pulled the gun up beside the fan, trying not to drop it in the wind, settled the bead and BOOM. Up close and personal, I think this was one of the most gruesome head shots I've seen from a shotgun. It look like a guillotine shot. Ended up being a damn nice bird with a 10 1/4 beard. :grin:

f4c52a35-7821-4bf2-99da-3620d9e3e6cf_zps502c36f1.jpg

13TurkeySpurs_zps758b0579.jpg

Over the last ~5 years - some of our other successful fan hunts.

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

DSC00121.jpg

919b1448-97c6-4bf2-82e0-6ee5dfcbccdc_zps45464952.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

04220195122601.jpg

IMG00241-20110427-0757-1.jpg

IMG00235-20110427-0635.jpg

IMG_0552-1.jpg

CIMG3223.jpg

I'd argue over it not being effective, but I do think there are still great things about sitting next to a big cottonwood and calling them in off the roost. I still do that with my younger siblings. I really just love taking people out and running and gunning though. If I had limited access to spots I might think differently, but I still doubt it.

Has the fan worked for any of you guys? Are you hesistant to try it? Do you think it's stupid? Be honest.

Last edited:
Congrats! Thinking about trying it fourth season. Looks like a fun hunt. I don't know if I will enjoy it as much as sitting in the dark waiting for the them to open up on the roost or not. Hopefully I will find out.

What would you say your success rate is on using the fan? Is there quite a few stalks you come up empty handed?

I too almost solely hunt with the fan trick because our am set up don't work then we go and find a strutter in the field. And the chase is on! It is a blast . I would say success rate is almost 100 percent. Only times i havent had success is when I miss lol or if for some reason a hen blind sides you or something and spooks em. Keep the fan between you and the stutter and you should be good to go! Remember to act like a Tom and turn the fan side to side and drop it and pop it up fast, that really gets them fired up. Good luck have fun!

I have never done it, but want to try it if I don't get one off the roost. Might be my 4th season tactic. I hunt only private and have no worries about the so-call "dangers" of other hunters.

I strictly bow hunt turkeys wit traditional equip., but have thought about this a bunch lately. Has anyone out there tried it with a recurve. I've seen guys with compounds doing it. Looks like it would be very entertaning for the camera man sitting back filming

How do you guys do this?

Do you just crawl and hold it in your face or put it on a stick?

Might try it this weekend.

Congrats on that old bird, can't wait to see the one thats big enough for my partner [651] to knock down for teamoldballs, thanks for that one Muddy.

My 10 year old Corben got his youth tom with us behind the fan, but this is our first year to give it a try. Saved 4 fans from last year so with the awesome weather we have now, it's gonna be a fun weekend.

Jakewym's mounting job is the way to go, but I think I am gonna go with Gundog's duck tape the fan to the top limb method, tomorrow.

Last edited:
You guys need to check out the turkey reapers. They put a whole new spin on the "fan" trick. It's pretty awesome. Killed a double last weekend with my compound bow crawlin them on camera with a buddy. Check em out on you tube" the turkey reapers" u won't be disappointed.

We had some boo hoo complaints that shut the other "show your fan" thread down. Thanks Sniper, stay under your bridge from now on.

Anyway lets see some more fan creations, Daver please, you have to repost yours. If done right, I don't believe there is anymore danger hunting this way, than anything else we do. Heres mine. Just attatched it to a branch then tied it to my sight and stabilizer with boot laces and wire ties.

We had some boo hoo complaints that shut the other "show your fan" thread down. Thanks Sniper, stay under your bridge from now on.

Anyway lets see some more fan creations, Daver please, you have to repost yours. If done right, I don't believe there is anymore danger hunting this way, than anything else we do. Heres mine. Just attatched it to a branch then tied it to my sight and stabilizer with boot laces and wire ties.

http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/loomis2/media/IMG_00774_zpsf777a311.jpg.html

Well if'n you say so 6'er, you did ask right nicely and all, so how can I resist? :grin: Here I thought my post was the reason the whole thread got deleted! I figured that someone saw my creation and hastily deleted the thread so they could steal the idea and patent it. :D

Below is a picture I posted last night in the famous "fan" thread right before the whole thing went poof. I have been reading a lot of stories and fans and turkeys and such and I thought I would try one too. Only I haven't had the success that others have, so I am truly looking for some honest feedback from some of the smart fellers on this site.

Please take a look and let me know what I need to do...

Would I be better off with an oscillating fan v. a box fan?

Should I cut the power cord off? Cuz I seem to keep tripping on it when attempting a sneak.

Do you think the toms are smart enough to tell that my beard is really a squirrel tail and not an authentic turkey beard?

These are all serious questions guys, puhleeze help!

161-davers_fan1.jpg

I can only imagine the cool sound the fan makes when you call through it while its running! Cutting technology there Daver! :way:

As I posted in the other thread before it went 10-96, here is my fan decoy. I'm going to be trying it out tomorrow morning possibly.

Top Bottom