Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thoughts??

buckwheat10

First off, havent posted much on here but i love the site and enjoy everyones knowledge. That being said, I would really appreciate your help/thoughts on a shot. Had a 140s 10 come in tonight at about 640 (Sunset here was 6:22) and got him stopped at about 25 yards. I think he was quartering to me more than i thought and hit him in the front shoulder. He jumped and kicked then B lined it out into CRP grass, however the arrow fell out about 15 yards away from where i originally hit him. Got down and checked the arrow, it got only 7 inches of penetration, but those 7 inches are good, bright red, bubbly blood. I've decided to not pick up any tracking till first light tomorrow hoping he beds down and stays. Some more things to consider, its been drizzling all evening and is suppose to rain tomorrow morning pretty good. Was shooting a shwacker broadhead as well. What are you guys thoughts? One thing working in my favor is not much timber, only narrow strips with creek running though, some crp, and harvested fields. Im not feeling confident at the moment, upset with the shot, but hope somehow to get lucky and find him in his bed tomorrow. Thanks for reading and any help. All the best

I would go out around midnight and start tracking him before the rain. If you dont find him and you find beds where he laid then i would back out. Rain could make him hard to find.

With 7 inches in the shoulder you should have atleast got one lung and maybe two. If you choose to wait until the morning I am sure he won't be far if that truly is the case. I personally would give him 3-4 hours and check the blood trail. If was good I would pursue, if not i would back out. I personaly wouldn't worry about the drizzle.

Last edited:
I had a similiar situation 10 years ago. Arrow deflected off an unseen branch. Hit was farther ahead than I would have liked and the deer was quartering to me more than I realized. I shot him in a light rain and drizzle. I gambled and waited until morning. It was supposed to rain all night but I knew if I bumped him that night there was probably no chance of finding him. We waited until an hour after sun up and didnt find much blood the first 100 yards, then it opened up and he only went another 200 yards. Its a gamble, but unless it down pours you will still have blood. There are still plenty of leaves on the trees. Good luck, keep us posted.

First off, havent posted much on here but i love the site and enjoy everyones knowledge. That being said, I would really appreciate your help/thoughts on a shot. Had a 140s 10 come in tonight at about 640 (Sunset here was 6:22) and got him stopped at about 25 yards. I think he was quartering to me more than i thought and hit him in the front shoulder. He jumped and kicked then B lined it out into CRP grass, however the arrow fell out about 15 yards away from where i originally hit him. Got down and checked the arrow, it got only 7 inches of penetration, but those 7 inches are good, bright red, bubbly blood. I've decided to not pick up any tracking till first light tomorrow hoping he beds down and stays. Some more things to consider, its been drizzling all evening and is suppose to rain tomorrow morning pretty good. Was shooting a shwacker broadhead as well. What are you guys thoughts? One thing working in my favor is not much timber, only narrow strips with creek running though, some crp, and harvested fields. Im not feeling confident at the moment, upset with the shot, but hope somehow to get lucky and find him in his bed tomorrow. Thanks for reading and any help. All the best

I would keep my eye on the radar and if it only looks like drizzle I would go out at mid night . 6 hours is more than ample time for a lung shot. Shot a buck last year at night gambled on it not raining and waited till the morning and hunted the next morning out of the same stand and it started to rain by the time I got to the first bed it was pouring. The last blood I found was 25 yards from first bed and that's we're it ended never found him. I would look at midnight

Did the arrow break off or did the head and all fall out?
If the arrow is broke off I would go drag him out around 11.
If the entire arrow/broadhead and all is laying on the ground I would be standing outside doing a "dont rain" dance and get after it at first light
That shoulder can be a deal breaker, with 7" you should be golden

If you can wait till first light I would!! Always better with light!! 7 inches sounds good! But if you got 2 lungs that boy will be real close! If you only got one........that boy can go a long way!! Longer if you push!!! I don't have alot of big buck pics ta show you!! But!!! Ta Da!! I have been bowhunting them since 1978 !!:D Lotta trailing time!!! Good Luck!!! :way:

Although its just a drizzle I'd get out there tonight. Was tracking a buck I shot tonight and within 2 hours of the light drizzle a lot of the blood was hard to pick up.

Can't add much more than what has already been said, but your shot description sounds like it could be one lung, which leaves a lot of possibilities. This is by far the most unpleasant part of bowhunting, but can also be very rewarding when you find the deer after a long search. Best of luck to you :way:

NWBuck

At a quartering angle 7" may not be enough penetration to get a lung. If the arrow got to a lung I wouldn't expect it to stop with only 7" of penetration. Bone stops penetration, not lung. Good luck, but I'm not holding me breath.

Sorry for slow updates fellas, had to get to class after the search, but happy to present good news! went out this morning at 750 and the searching was done at 755! The swhacker went through the front shoulder and ripped into heart, leaving him only 60 yards from where the arrow went in! His front leg musta been cocked back. Unbelievably relieved and excited. Been bow hunting for 4 years, stick my does every year, but wanted to wait till I had the opportunity at a buck that i would be thoroughly pleased with as i know the quality of deer around. The one ended up being a 10 pointer we call little brow for obvious reasons. His brows are an inch or less on either side, but he has good 2s and 3s. Broke off a 4 on one side which hurts scoring as well, but i could care less. Think he is going to score right around the 130 mark and that is fine by me!! Thanks for all your help! pics will come maybe later tonight when i have time. One other little note, his right eye was popped and scars on his face, crazy to see, musta had a good battle recently.

Top Bottom