Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Three Leg

shedhunter93

PMA Member
The past couple years we've had a three leg doe that has hung around our property and she survived all the hunting seasons this year. We even had video of her with a fawn earlier this past fall. Amazing how tough they are. Just curious anyone have any ideas what might have happened to her leg?
CDY_0014.jpg

CDY_0009.jpg

My uneducated guess would be a slug or arrow broke the front leg, it fell off and she eventually survived. Admirable how tough animals can be when it ultimately comes down to survival. I am no biologist but she appears pretty darn healthy otherwise.

Last edited:
Tough old gal for sure. I had always heard that a deer missing a front leg will have trouble surviving a tough winter because they can't paw for food. Who knows though???

NWBuck

Idk that looks to clean of a cut to be a slug or arrow almost looks like she was saved maybe after being hit by a car and they took the leg to save her? Idk maybe she was born with a deformity.

We had one just like that many years ago; my neighbor shot it as a 6 month old; she ran past me with the leg flopping and I couldn't get a shot. We thought she would die but she showed up 2 months later looking as if the leg had been surgically removed. We made her off limits and for the next 7 years she had either singles or twins.
Who knows how long she would have lived; one day I shot at a doe in heavy brush and when I went to pull her out imagine my shock at not being able to find her second front leg to pull her out. It was a sad day all around; we had to give her away....it would have been like eating a pet.
They are truly amazing animals.

Had a doe that lived behind my dads place for 6 yrs or so that had 3legs. Crazy how well she got around and even ran.

Yup gator got it i saw it happen one time mid dec. Lol

I saw many more 3 leggers on the east coast. Im not exactly sure why. seem shot gunners would do a lot injrues. I am thinking that the yotes get the injured deer here in IA.

Top Bottom