Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ticks

eiowaarcher

I was out Sunday hanging up some more cameras, checking the food plots, and doing some looking for mushrooms and noticed the ticks are out like crazy! I pulled 7 off of me in 6 hours at the farm. Anything I can wear or spray to help eliminate ticks on me? I have also found 12-15 ticks on my black lab (7 months old) in the last week or so. Is there anything I can put on him that will eliminate his tick problem also? Thanks guys. Keep your eyes open for these little guys when your out and about!

Frontline Plus for your dog. It won't keep the ticks from getting on him, but once they bite him, they get a shot of the medicine and it kills them. Works pretty good (although not the cheapest option).

Steve

I usually find the small pump spray bottles at walmart of repel with 100% deet.. I spray that on my boots and legs and then use the spray can of 40% deet for the rest of my body to repel mosquitos

Can you buy it at wal mart or where do you get it

I have bought a permetherin based aerosol spray at Wal-Mart before, I think it was branded as Permanone or something close to that. I have also bought a permetherin based pump spray product named Sawyer's or something close to that at Bass Pro. I know there are other options too, but you will NEED this at your new place...trust me neighbor! :D

Unless there has been a formula change though, you will not want to apply a permetherin based product directly to your skin, apply to clothing and boots only. I use a regular DEET based spray like OFF on my skin and then permetherin on my clothes.

I purchased a set if rynoskin clothing many years ago and love them. Once I'm done in the field, I take the clothing off, place it in a garbage bag and place it in the freezer. After a day, I pull the clothing out of the freezer and shake the frozen ticks out. It works really good. Go to www.rynoskin.com to take a look at what they offer.

I don't know if there's a difference in ticks between Iowa and Arizona, but several years ago when we lived in Tucson, I had to switch from Frontline Plus to K-9 Advantix because Frontline was absolutely worthless on ticks down here. My female GSD had a couple of fully engorged ticks and we used Frontline Plus religiously because of where we went hiking and a little wash behind our house. I called Frontline's customer service and they gave me a load of crap about me applying it wrong and offering to send me a new batch. After talking to my vet, she suggested K9-Advantix and we've never had a problem with ticks or fleas since.

Of course, I also remember a similar conversation on here a few years ago and a local vet chimed in saying that Frontline was great in Iowa and K9-Advantix was worthless. Could be different tick species.

I've found at least 3-4 ticks crawling on me after every hunt this past week. all deer ticks. none attached yet. I don't know what it is, but those nasty little critters love me.

Don't forget Chiggers! I never heard of them till I moved south down here in Iowa. They are actually tiny ticks. Worse cause ya can't see em. They don't suck blood, just disolve the skin, but man that irritation brings big welts:mad:, The P-spray works best. Spray onclothes, rubber boots letdry. You can get 10% P-spray in farm stores cheaper andmix with water.

A tick collar for dogs works great. I used it on my lab. Your lab probably has a bunch of ticks on him that you didn't find. They even get stuck between the webbing in their paws!

Any top notch spray that's designed to keep ticks off and applied to your clothing works great.

Top Bottom