Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tiller

MN Hunter

I am wanting to get a tiller to use for food plots. Approximately 4-7 acres a year. For those that have tillers I'm wondering how long you've had them and if they hold up. I've heard other say that they tend to break down a lot because its pretty hard on them. BUt those people were using them on their organic farms. Just curious, I dont want to buy something that doesnt hold up.

I have a 6 foot king kutter and it has never failed, been using it for four years and it was used. They make a great seed bed but are very time consuming to use. I usually go over my plots twice with it.

I second the king Kutter. I have had 2 and a much more expensive Kubota Tornado and the King Kutter did just as well as the Kubota. Paint may flake off and keep it shedded but as for the running it made great seed beds. all 3 of my tillers were 72 inch models and you must add fluid when you buy new.

I third the king cutter, we actually went back to it from a disc, just be ready to replace the bolts that get shredded and oil. But for that size it's awesome!

Several of my buddies have Maschio's with very good success and heavy duty. They make the tillers for many other companies who put their name on them. I personally would simply keep researching who makes the most heavy duty and I would absolutely make sure they have a slip clutch. Personally, I would not want a shear pin but that's me. HEAVY DUTY makes & models would be my 1st investigation (which you're doing) & I'd pay more for a better unit.

Maschio H 205. I tried my best to break it and couldn't. I got the slipper clutches hot enough to sizzle (I was over horse powered). Once they cooled off I was back in business. I think mine weighs 850 pounds, gear driven, cat 1 and 2 pins. This tiller absolutely pulverizes the soil to a fine tilth. I've been going heavy on the GFR to break up any hard pan the tiller may cause. I turned last summers cloverweeds plot into smooth, couldn't see the mess that I had there before tilling ready to plant plot. It incorporated the cloverweeds so well you would have sworn it was bare dirt before I started.

I've been using a smaller either 4 or 5 foot king kutter and wouldn't do it any other way for small plots. One or maybe two laps with a disc and one pass with the tiller and you got powder. For bigger plots it would be pretty time consuming though if you could only work 4-6 feet at a time.

We love our king cutter and we've tilled through a lot of rocky patches. Haven't had to replace anything yet.

I have a Frontier 60". Durable and works awesome but is slow on the bigger plots (over 1/2 acre) This year I'm going to mount a spring loaded cultipacker behind it. Tilling is great but the bed is quite soft when done. Generally I'll let it settle some and even like a soft rain before I plant and even then anything that goes on it sinks in.

Another thumbs up for King Kutter. Mine is a 5 footer and I've used it two years now (and my neighbors borrow it too). Its pounded a lot a cringe worthy rocks as well. Just take your time.

KingKutter. They have a slipclutch and if they do break down anybody could put them back together. Mine has required new bearings once and cluch padds. I must be harder on them than most. :( I still am happy with the hours of performance my 60" tiller has provided.

Anyone use a 72" king cutter on a 33Hp tractor?? It states 35hp to 55hp...I would rather go bigger with the72" than the 60"..I have a 2009 Mahindra 33hp turbo disel..yes thats right...I said turbo...

Anyone use a 72" king cutter on a 33Hp tractor?? It states 35hp to 55hp...I would rather go bigger with the72" than the 60"..I have a 2009 Mahindra 33hp turbo disel..yes thats right...I said turbo...

don't do it.

Is your tractor 33 hp to the PTO? Tractors run less to the PTO. I had a Mahindra 3525 that was rated at 35 hp and 27 to the PTO. My 5' King Kutter specified a min of 26 hp to the PTO I believe. I don't think I would have had much luck with a 6 footer.
I upgraded last fall to a 41 hp Kioti in 4wd which is 34 hp to the PTO. MUCH better on that tiller.

Top Bottom