Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Timber value?

Daver

PMA Member
I know it is impossible to give a a price without seeing the trees and so forth, but since I am a total newcomer to selling timber... what would be a range that one could fairly expect to receive per tree assuming a "standard" oak tree is harvested. Assume a diameter of roughly 18" to 24". I am not looking for quotes, just something that I can have in mind when I am talking with timber buyers.

The price varies quite a lot depending on the height, form, and quality of the tree ... 18" to 24" , $40 to $100 per tree if it is just oak sawlog, considerably more if it is veneer quality.

Do yourself a favor and hire a consulting forester, most of them charge 10% to get bids for your wood and then administer the timber sale ... it will be well worth it. Timber buyers usually offer much more when they compete with each other. If you simply sell your trees to the first buyer that knocks on your door you will likely be offered only a small portion of what your wood is really worth.

[ QUOTE ]
Do yourself a favor and hire a consulting forester, most of them charge 10% to get bids for your wood and then administer the timber sale ... it will be well worth it. Timber buyers usually offer much more when they compete with each other. If you simply sell your trees to the first buyer that knocks on your door you will likely be offered only a small portion of what your wood is really worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said...
grin.gif
waytogo.gif

You can always start with the IDNR forestor to get some idea and then use a private forestor to help you actually market your trees.

Otherwise from everything I've seen lately...your going to be taken advantage of..
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Do yourself a favor and hire a consulting forester

[/ QUOTE ]

Can anyone recommend someone in the Davis County area?

Your local F.S.A office should have the name and # of your district forester and a list of names for log buyers. I found out that my logs "taken out while building my pond" were not worth much. I had mostly pin oaks that were only good for pallet lumber. I agree with the above advice on shopping around, I know of some guys who doubled their first bid on some timber. Good luck.

I would second the Geode Forestry suggestion. I have worked with Bob Petrzelka on several projects over the last 7 years and I don't believe you will find a better consulting forester. He is very knowledgeable, honest, and would be my first choice if I was considering selling timber off my farm.

Hi Daver,

I agree with the above posts. Make sure you get someone besides a logger to look at your trees. A consulting forestry business will definitely help you get the best bid. Let me know if we can be of any help. We are doing a sale right now in Davis county and I can stop by and look at your timber if you'd like.

Best,
Rich Waite
www.iowahabitats.com
641-919-9026

A small logging outfit by the name of Price Logging select cut a forty for me. He did a very neat job. He paid me up front and said if he sold the logs for more than that he would pay more later. To my surprize three months after he was finished he came with another check. This blew me away, I never thought I would see him again.

Top Bottom